Need educated input on pricing 2019 Kona EV Ultimate being sold to a dealership please.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Feb 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We are now past the one year mark of owning our 2019 Kona EV Ultimate. Mileage is very low at 5400 kilometers. We have waited til now to start the selling process as if we did it before a year of ownership, we would have had to repay our rebates to the government. We want to sell it to a dealership due to ease versus selling privately and taking the risk with strangers at the door who might not be as they present themselves. We are going in this afternoon to the dealership where we bought the car for an appraisal and offer. My head is spinning a bit after reading columns that cars depreciate as much as 30% in one year. I am asking for your help to figure out what would be a reasonable acceptable offer from a dealership. We are not trading it in, but selling outright. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well see what they will give you and then go from there i know selling it private is a pain but you might get more for it. Please let us know how things went.

4. Not sure where you are located, but in Canada the black book value for you car is between $43 and $46K. I'm betting that is due to the low km. It's like new, and an easy sale for the dealer.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I have sold many cars privately, including high $$ cars like a 91 Ferrari Testarossa that I used to own.. Never had an issue. On the higher end cars, I would ask for proof of funds or financing before letting them drive the car.. You'll get a lot more $$ if you sell privately..

6. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I understand your desire to remain outside of the deal, but there is no such thimg as a reasonable offer when it comes to dealerships. They are going to give you a reasonable offer minus their profit margin and risk assessments.

You should be able to get a better deal and yet remain anonymous by taking the vehicle to auction with a reserve bid.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. As Kathryne indicate black book wholesale is between $43-46 which is likely close to what they will offer and markup to average asking of 50K. If they offer more great, if they offer much less move on to the next dealer.

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We were a bit wimpy. We were offered $40,000 and settled on $42,000. Thanks for all the input. I was only able to read the first message here before we had our appt. It sure makes one think about never buying new again. I was stressed while there due our past history with some ups and downs when we ordered our Kona EV and waited forever and our car was given to someone else and we had a dust up with the dealership over that, and then had clunking noise and they tried to make me feel like I was hearing something not there and then the mechanic said to me "oh we have had several cars in with that clunking". It wasn't an easy trusting relationship and I am glad to leave it behind. Today we had a kindly new salesman and that helped a bit as I didn't feel he was anything other than honest.

E-Shark, Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  10. $42K is pretty good seeing as the car depreciated $5k right off the bat with the Federal rebate that started in May. Congratulations ... now you can move on:)
    Hope to hear from you again!

11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed. It does feel sad in a way to leave our Kona, but there is relief too. I will drop in. And of course keep reading.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. A new 2020 Kona EV Ultimate MSRP $46,231 here in B.C. (including the $8K rebates)
    You did awesome with a used 2019 @5400km for $42K (9% loss)
    https://hyundaicanada.com/en/shopping-tools/buildandprice

BC-Doc and Wildeyed like this.
  14. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

What a sweetheart you are Ed! That is such a your cup is half full view. You are 100% right! I think we did great now having had some time to reflect.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Yes you did ok better then i would of thought..

16. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Yep. Actually we came out okay considering some of the deals we've done over the years.

17. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

You have the new KIA how is that doing for you

18. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We do have the 2020 Kia Soul EV, and we really like it. It has the ease of entering and exiting the car without bumping our heads, and the head and shoulder room that the Kona EV is missing. We like the softer suspension over bumps too. Our dogs crates fit better too. And I like the larger nav screen as well, and electric front passenger seat. HOWEVER, the build quality of the Kona EV is superior by far. I feel in my gut that the Kona will hold its value better than the Soul. I would say the Soul feels a little lossey goosey when driving it compared to the sturdy road hugging form the Kona. But when you are older and less agile the Soul does fill the bill.