Electric Vehicle Freedom Act

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Feb 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/mobility/2020/02/06/levin-ocasio-cortez-bill-would-create-national-network-ev-chargers/4681625002/

Washington — U.S. Reps. Andy Levin, D-Bloomfield Township, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., unveiled legislation Thursday that would require the establishment of a "comprehensive, nationwide network of high-speed" electric-car chargers within five years.

The measure, known as the Electric Vehicle Freedom Act, directs the U.S. Departments of Transportation and Energy to devise a plan for establishing a network of chargers on the interstate highway system that are capable of fully powering up a plug-in vehicle in the same amount of time it takes to fill up the tank of a gas or diesel car.

Levin said it's time expand on the idea of the interstate highway system "and bring America’s infrastructure into the 21st century. "
    . . .

As long as it doesn't choose 'winners' and 'losers', no problem. For example, allocate the plugs by annual vehicle sales:
    • Supercharger
    • CCS-1
    • CHAdeMO
    It should also include a one-for-one mix of maximum current, 80 A, J1772 EVSE. These can be used to get fast DC charging cars off the fast DC chargers. It also encourages higher rate, built in L2 chargers.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't really want to discriminate against a specific brand of cars but Chademo? There is really only one manufacturer that uses them. I'd rather see one more CCS. And supercharger? I don't think there is any need for anybody to install those. It looks like Tesla's might come with CCS some day (like in Europe) or an adapter.

I wish all these companies would just f***** sit down together at one table and decide on whatever standard they want to do.

But hey, I am living in a Dreamworld.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Even in Europe, a non-Tesla can't charge at a Tesla SC even though the SC now has a CCS plug.

Look at the fuss over there with Ionity - if you thought Electrify America pricing was bad, this is far worse. But what Ionity seems to be doing is making deals with various automakers - no doubt for $$, so not everybody pays the high rate.

In theory any other manufacturer could pay Tesla, and all of their cars could gain access to the SC. We don't know what Tesla's price for entry would be.

5. Well, I know. Just having the plug won't make a car charge.

However even if somebody would approach Tesla about their charging network. I wonder if it would work. Tesla only uses some kind of car communication to identity the car. Would that work with say our Konas? Tesla might have sit themselves into the foot by being a little bit too proprietary. On the other hand they have their own network that nobody else can use. Still not sure if that's a good thing or not. It wouldn't hurt Tesla's bottom line to have somebody buy in, though.

In the end it's us the consumer again being hurt.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Here's what we'd like to start seeing along the road...

bjs-kwh.jpg

per my rant about DCFC, price per *kilowatthour* in a common color
    that hasn't been used on these signs yet, and charging as ubiquitous
    as dino-pumps.

_H*

gooki, Harvey, davidtm and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I like it, but sad to say, seems like just a distant pipe dream. Will be doing a trip deep into the US in March, and after looking at the routes and charging options, will be taking our ICE car. And very discouraging to see the non-response from the likes of Electrify America.

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Pipedream or not, it adds a nice way to finish off my discourse
    on fast-charging
    . The right incentives are certainly within human
    reach, the problem is getting all the greedy obstructionists out of the
    way. Not under this administration, obviously; I'm keeping the Prius
    for now...

_H*

R P and bwilson4web like this.
  10. Great write-up, and right on the mark. Amazed that you have the time (or passion) to research and publish all this. But it certainly is very educational and interesting. Thanks for that, and hope to see more.

If we hope to get EVs beyond the home turf, we desperately need a viable trip charging infrastructure.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks!
    I use a Juicebox 40 PRO that claims to have communications with public utilities to take advantage of lower cost, electric charging and utility communications. I figured it was a California thing and didn't give much thought. At one time in the 1980s, TVA had a box that the utility could use to 'turn off' the water heater. But by the time we got our house that program had ended.

I'd researched the 'pilot control' line signal and felt I was looking at a 19th Century protocol . . . something anti-digital. I didn't research the CCS-1 protocol but if I understand correctly, they mix CAN traffic on the level part(s) of the 1 kHz square wave?

Do they encode CAN direction on the two levels of the square wave, a full duplex, or still a kind of half duplex on one level of the square wave?

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Here: /storage/emulated/0/Download/Electric-Vehicle-Freedom-Act.pdf is the bill:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app