Repair issues and fixes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Check your VINS in the Hyundai USA/Canada/your country's website because there's a recall, heat pump for places that have it. Campaign: driver dash display replaced because it can randomly go black.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Checked Canada Hyundai site- no recall listed s/n KM8.......022465 ( manufacture date Dec 22/18), even though the driver dash display has twice gone black.

4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Sadly,Hyundai is making owners go into the dealership.Only get the fix if Hyundai applies it to your VIN.Since you've had the displeasure of having it happen twice,hope you got some media backup.What's weird,there doesn't appear to be any DTC?

5. No media back up and have discussed this with the dealer techs. They suspect low 12 V accessory voltage, which was true in one instance but due to the extremely intermittent occurrence, I suspect a software glitch somewhat reminiscent of the cause of the auto regen settings changing defaults on a somewhat similar time base . Its not a "perfect" car, but small imperfections don't bother me as I love what the Kona has to offer compared to what is available at the same price point from other manufactures (at least to this point).;)

6. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

ehatch likes this.
  9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Compare with a Nissan Versa Note: 39 miles/gallon highway; gas $2.29/gallon; $4.85/78 miles.
    PLugshare example of time based rip off.EA up to 75kW/ $0.15 minute: 40kw Nissan Leaf at 50% will take 1.5hr to charge?! This would be 20kWh for $16.50 USD to go about 87 miles/140km [100% - 175 miles/281km.]. To deter DCFC hogging,free,or payment,idling fees would be fine once an EV gets below 7kW,an in app. warning should go off about 10 minutes before so you can get back to the vehicle to move to L2,or drive on.
    2018 leaf 40kw.jpg

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Compare with a Nissan Versa Note: 39 miles/gallon highway; gas $2.29/gallon; $4.85/78 miles.
    PLugshare example of time based rip off.EA up to 75kW/ $0.15 minute: 40kw Nissan Leaf at 50% will take 1.5hr to charge?! This would be 20kWh for $16.50 USD to go about 87 miles/140km [100% - 175 miles/281km.]. To deter DCDC hogging,free,or payment,idling fees would be fine once an EV gets below 7kW,an in app. warning should go off about 10 minutes before so you can get back to the vehicle to move to L2,or drive on.
    View attachment 7282

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

That shows 13 min to 75%. Sounds fine. DCFC isn’t for charging to 100%.

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'm launching an investigation into the excessively high voltage that
    the LDC maintains. 14.8 - 15 volts really is too high to float a lead-acid
    battery, even an AGM, and that's backed by numerous references.
    The result may or may not be a campaign to tweak the LDC output
    voltage, or reflash the EPCU, or whatever... or it will just fall flat and
    we'll be replacing our 12V bricks every 2 or 3 years.

The Hyundai customer-disservice people are forcing me into a
    dealership visit to "diagnose and verify the problem". What a profound
    waste of everyone's time. I own five or six voltmeters and there's
    even one permanently installed in the car... and they all show the
    same clear, ah, potential for overcharge. I'm scheduled for the visit
    tomorrow, I'll keep y'all posted. This really has to just go straight up
    to Techline, but they'd rather treat me like an idiot first. They really
    tie their own hands with this blind adherence to "procedure".

_H*

14. That's not just Hyundai. All "hotlines” treat you like an idiot.

navguy12 likes this.
  15. I'm still puzzled by the difference I found in the TP thread where during driving the aux battery voltage data reported by TP and averaged in Excel settled down to 13.0 V after a few minutes driving. When trickle charging it's 14.7 V average and that was stable over 30 min.

I just checked the accuracy of the TP aux voltage PID against a meter across the battery. Amazingly it varied no more than +/- 0.01 V during "run" (but parked) and while charging at 1.6 kW (car power off). Both voltages were around 14.7 V, which I agree is too high by most standards.

I'm running a 2 hour log now while it's charging to see if/when there's any drop past the 30 min prior example I've already checked. EDIT: I just have to quickly change the logging interval to a more realistic value and noted it has already dropped to 13.0 V at zero current. Will report back in the other thread.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  16. If the unlock button in the door handle doesn't work, see if the Smart Key is sitting behind keys, wallet, etc. in your pocket or purse. This is reported to be able to block the signal.

17. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Is anyone else's charge door not flush? This may explain why snow,or rain enters? 20200317_201040.jpg

18. I now believe this may have been a function of low voltage on the car's 12v battery. It only happened the day before the battery went dead.

navguy12 likes this.
  19. RandallScott

RandallScott New Member

20. RandallScott

RandallScott New Member

You discovered the real reason WHY you don't charge above 80% on a DCFC! It takes a long or longer to charge from 80-100% as it does 0-80%, and when you're paying the the minute, well, the cost of that last 20% doubles the fee. On a car with only about 80-90 miles range that's extremely expensive to get only about 20 miles more range. On a Kona the difference is around 50 miles, but still, charging above 80% on a DCFC is reserved only if you really really need those extra miles and are willing to pay big for it.

Kirk, navguy12 and ehatch like this.
  21. That's true, which is probably why I wrote "gear drive"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Kirk and robxb like this.
  22. robxb

robxb Active Member

<3

How far have you driven since it was changed? Just wondering if it comes back, as I didn't have it when the car was new, but it got worse as time went on.

My dealership was useless with the issue (as seen in my video showing their test drive)
    and showing them that "someone else got it fixed" just irritates them :(

23. robxb

robxb Active Member

Have you checked this again since the battery update? I wonder if that could have caused the exploding car in Montreal