Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 AWD can now be ordered

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by Domenick, Jan 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. As the thread title states, orders are now open for the Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 AWD, the all-electric version of this crossover.

I was lucky enough to attend the launch of this car and it certainly seemed very good up close. It's going to have a strong competitor in the Tesla Model Y, but for many buyers it may have a more preferable premium feel.

If you're putting your money down on one, chime in and tell us what helped you decide. To do so, go to this Volvo website page to place your $1,000 deposit.

To recap some of the specs in the post linked above:
    • based on Compact Modular Architecture (CMA)
    • range of more than 400 km (249 miles) (most likely under WLTP test cycle)
    • 78 kWh battery pack (75 kWh usable, 400 V, 320 kW of power) (cells from LG Chem/CATL)
    • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.9 seconds (4.7 seconds to 60 mph)
    • dual motor all-wheel-drive
    • system output of 300 kW (408 hp) and 660 Nm (one 150 kW motor per axle)
    • fast charging 0-80% in 40 minutes (at up to 150 kW peak)
    • 11 kW three-phase on-board charger
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sor

sor New Member

I preordered. I actually put a deposit in on both a Polestar 2 and an XC40 recharge. I will decide between them when I see the final features, options, and specs.

I currently have a BMW X3 M40i. I haven't really been excited about the electric options in the US. They either are a step down in performance, luxury, features or some other compromise. The upcoming BMW iX3 is pretty slow and slated to be RWD only, targeted at China market.

I can't make myself like the looks of Teslas, and I think they have a hole in their lineup. They have the $40-$50k low end and the $80-100k luxury segment but not the $60k sweet spot that cars like my X3 sit in. I want something the size of a Model Y with the luxury of a Model X... a little less spartan than a Model3/Y. I'm not a Tesla hater and I think they have some cool features... I know several who own one and they are nice, just not for me.

The E-tron was mildly interesting, but I think it's too big for me and seems a bit compromised, being a retrofit platform.

The XC40 and Polestar 2 platform was just the first US available vehicle to check all of the boxes for me. Smallish luxury AWD car that has some "go". I also checked out a standard XC40 R-design in the showroom and was pretty impressed with the build quality, and the size didn't seem noticeably different from the X3 I have, though I know it has a smaller nose and is more compact overall I don't think it is small enough to miss any capacity day to day.

electriceddy, Cypress and Domenick like this.
  4. I think I'd prefer the Polestar 2 of those two, but if you need the room that the hatch gives, the XC 40 is still a pretty nice choice. Here's here's a few shots of the storage space in the Recharge that I took.

20191016_101608.jpg 20191016_102040.jpg 20191016_102225.jpg

5. ITown

ITown Active Member

Very cool! Didn't expect Volvo to put a frunk in the XC40-Recharge since it's a modified fossil car.

I really love the aggressive look of the Polestar 2, but the XC40 Recharge looks good too.

Also keep in mind that Polestar is slated to announce the Polestar 3 later this year. I believe it'll be a crossover. Probably priced slightly above PS2.

My only (small) gripe with the XC40 Recharge is that the charge port is in the back. I've driven 2 EV's now, the Focus Electric and Niro EV. I have to say that I really appreciate the frontal position for charging. I think I'd find it quite inconvenient to have to back up in order to charge all the time. I guess Tesla owners make it work - but I feel like I'd be more likely to scrape the car.

Domenick likes this.
  6. papab

papab Member

The link to volvo in the first post doesn't show an electric XC-40.
    As we get more info I'll be looking at this and the Tesla Y.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for that. Fixed the link. Just need to click on the blue "Reserve yours" box to go to pre-order form.

9. papab

papab Member

Any news on price? This will have CCS charging?

10. ITown

ITown Active Member

It will have CCS charging - able to charge at a rate of up to 150 kW I think. I think the price will be around $55,000-$57,000 based on several articles I've seen. They're consistent in saying that the price will be "under $50,000" after incentives.

Cypress and Domenick like this.
  11. Lou Reynolds

Lou Reynolds New Member

I put a downpayment on one as soon as I could. I was looking for several things.

1. 4wd for winter and poor roads I find myself on
    2. Ground clearance
    3. Simple hitch attachment (why this is so hard is beyond me).
    4. Modest towing capacity for my trailer with kayaks.
    5. Enough room for camping gear, wife, dog, etc.
    6. Decent range.
    7. A company committed to the environment.

The Recharge ticked all the boxes for me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to this car and I agree about it ticking your boxes.

I hope you'll consider sharing some of your journey with us. Have you had any feedback from the company since making your deposit?

Cypress likes this.
  14. Lou Reynolds

Lou Reynolds New Member

Nope - I’ve not heard anything except the acknowledgment of receipt.
    I contacted the local Volvo dealership and they assigned a sales associate to help me when the time comes.
    I will let you know how this progresses. I do not drive much at all right now - honestly, if I could count on driving this much over the next several years, I would not buy a new car at all. The key to combatting climate change, which is why I am buying an EV in the first place, is to drive less. And that I endeavor to do - EV or no EV.

Cypress, Fastnf and Domenick like this.
  15. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    the CMA platform was designed with ice, PHEV, and full EV in mind up front.

they also had to do a bit of redesign for the XC40 Recharge to get a bit bigger battery and more range in.

16. Woomi

Woomi New Member

Pre-order couple of day before.
    Now I have to think about may panel issue. I don't have any extra space for new circuit breaker.
    May need to add sub-panel which will add more cost.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Congrats!!!

If you don't travel long distances regularly, you might be able to get by with using the 110-volt travel charger. For instance, I traveled about 30 miles a day and so it's been easy to keep enough charge in the battery to take care of my commuting needs without installing a wall unit that would allow me to charge much faster at home (I'm probably going to install it, since I already have one. Just catching up on other bills first).

18. Woomi

Woomi New Member

I also though about it. But long term view, I should have faster charging option. For daily commute, it should be possible to use 110 charger, but if I use too much energy during weekends, it will take too long to recover SOC level. I'm thinking to upgrade one of my 240V breaker from 30A to 50A and using it with limited current charger such as 16A or 20A one. So even I use dryer and charging together the breaker doesn't trip.

Domenick likes this.
  19. Another advantage to upgrading is that it increases the value of your home (this is something I need to keep reminding myself).

20. rarewolf

rarewolf New Member

I’ve been reading about what has been refreshed for the MY24 XC40 and C40 Recharge, and Volvo is now on my shortlist for an EV purchase in the next year (along with the Audi Q4 eTron and Tesla MYLR). I cannot consider a Polestar without local service because it would be a primary driver for our household (which is also holding me back from ordering a Tesla today).

I see the date for the OP for this thread is January. Does that mean I cannot even consider reserving a Volvo until Jan’24? I’m in Canada…

21. It looks like the XC40 is available to be ordered on the Canadian Volvo site. At least, there's a "Shop" button there that takes you to a configuator.

22. rarewolf

rarewolf New Member

I’m pretty sure that’s for the model year ‘23. However, I’m not able to see the motor and charging specs to make sure…