Clarity PHEV oil filter info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Apr 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

How will you handle the infrequent oil changes

1. Use the dealer

44.0%
  2. DIY using Honda filter

22.0%
  3. DIY using other brand of filter

22.0%
  4. Use non dealer mechanic

12.0%
  1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

That's fine, and I fully agree with the associated freedom to chose an independent repair shop, or to do your own maintenance, etc. To me, those things are the bigger fish to fry rather than whether you chose a $6.00 'reputable' filter at the local auto parts store, or a $9.00 'OEM' filter. I agree that any reputable filter would be just fine (particularly because this vehicle probably stresses the oil much less than most).

If all 'reputable filters' meet the Honda requirements, then choose the lowest price one (probably would be a FRAM). I have used many FRAM filters over the years and have never had any engine problems. The Honda filters are essentially commodity items too because they are readily available outside of the dealers and their exorbitant markups.

Are the OEM filters any better than the FRAM filters? Is the A01 better than the A02?
    I think not, and you're essentially saying the same thing with your "any reputable filter" Magnuson argument.

We agree on this much more than we disagree !

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    I wasn’t trying to get into the filter wars since I have no desire to start WWIII. I only meant to point out that you are not locked into a Honda filter to keep your warranty intact.

FWIW, I think the Honda filter is a Filtech and I personally use a much better and more expensive filter that exceeds Honda’s requirements. Since I do so little HV driving, I only have to change oil once a year so a few extra bucks is not a problem for me. Does it protect my engine any better than a cheapo filter? Who really knows? (And by that time you do know; it’s too late) But for the small cost, I’d rather be safe than sorry and it also helps me sleep at night with one less thing to obsess over and worry about.

And truth be told, it’s probably more important to regularly change the oil and filter than which brand you pick.
    And by regularly, I mean according to manufacturer’s recommendations, since it’s been proven that 3,000 mile changes don’t offer any extra benefits and just clog up the environment.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  4. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Well that last attachment was worthless. Here's the one I meant to attach.

Attached Files:

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just curious - Did you change the oil based on the maintenance minder, or were you at the 1 year point? What were the odometer miles?

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

This second change was based on maintenance minder. ODO was 14,532. One year point is coming up in a month and I plan to again send oil off and will post results afterward. 'Engine' miles will probably be around 4k this time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Engine miles estimated to be 5243 for my third oil change. Sample sent off for analysis. Results indicate oil was still fine with the lab suggesting 7000 engine miles before the next change. Will probably stick to the one-year interval.

MrFixit and insightman like this.