JuiceBox Pro 40 showing negative amps and power

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by moka, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moka

moka New Member

Got the EVSE installed today and while it works to charge the car, the amperage and power are showing as negative both in browser and phone app. I even limited it to 6A and it charges around that, except showing as negative.

My device shows pro 40, v8.17.08. According to the docs, it's supposed to self update once connected to the wifi/internet. It took 10-15 minutes to get connected after setting up wifi; I don't know if it performed any update.

Anyone else seen this? What version do you have?

Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 8.24.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 8.24.43 PM.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Step one is call for support. I would not hesitate because it could be a safety issue. My guess is your unit is not wired properly. Maybe something is switched/reversed.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This is not a safety issue... There is no such thing as negative amps in an AC system.
    I have a JuiceBox 32 Pro, and it is v8.17.08 like yours. I have never seen anything like this, but the numbers look fine (when the minus sign is ignored).

My guess is that there is an inadvertent negative sign somewhere in the web-GUI. It is probably charging fine.
    I have found their tech support to be responsive in the past, so yes, contact them.

I'll look through my menus to see if I can find a likely suspect that could behave like this.

5. MrFixit

I just Googled for a while and found a customer review where somebody apparently had the same problem as you.
    Here is what they reported:

"Love this thing! Really well built and easy to install. I did have one slight issue with it - my amps and voltage are reading in the negative value. I contacted customer service and they told me the regulator was installed backwards but would not harm the product in any way - it would simply show negative results. They offered a replacement which I declined."

See if you get the same story from Customer Support...
    If they told me this, I would request a replacement unit, but would not hesitate to continue using the original while waiting for the new one.

This is quite believable to me.
    I think the exact wording is likely questionable ("regulator installed backwards"?). It puzzles me a little because if it truly doesn't matter, then why don't they 'fix' it in software just by taking the absolute value of this reading.

6. moka

moka New Member

Thanks. Wow! You found that in Amazon review.

This is what I got back from customer support.
    "We have determined that your JuiceBox or JuiceNet device is in need of repair."

And the replacement could be a used unit. :(

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Ack! They may send you a used one to replace your brand new one? I hope it’s tested and has the full OEM warranty. If that in fact happens, post a review on the site where you bought it so potential future owners will know that’s their warranty policy.

9. MrFixit

I would insist on a new unit. This was bad right out of the gate.
    Who did you buy it from? Could you return it to them in exchange for a new one?

10. moka

moka New Member

I got it from Costco and would've just exchanged it for another one but it's no longer listed on Costco site (online only I believe).

JuiceBox asked for my purchase receipt date (a little over 30 days) and offered to send me the next-generation model (same internals).
    "The main difference is the material it's now made of durable polycarbonate material. It also has a built-in cable rack and security lock as well as a new a more dynamic and visible LED light. Besides that, all the interior components and software are the same."​

I just need to pay a $200 refundable deposit to speed this up (instead of waiting to receive my unit before shipping out replacement). Overall, very responsive customer service, done over email which is easier for me during the work day.

Also, I asked if I should stop using the juice box and unplug, and was recommended to do so just to be safe.

11. MrFixit

Sounds like you have a plan...
    I wonder if you could have ordered the Costco as a "ship to store" and then gone in for the exchange when it arrived. Costco is usually very good.

In any event, it seems like you will get it worked out.

You will see quite a number of complaints about JuiceBox. I have had mine for around 1.5 years, and it has been flawless... Very happy with it !

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. moka

moka New Member

I probably would've just exchanged with Costco, but they don't seem to be selling it anymore. Will have to see how the "next-generation" model work out. At least it looks more modern. :cool:

14. moka

moka New Member

Got the next generation model up and running. It's about the same size + cable hanger.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.45.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.45.29 AM.png

There was a rattling noise that sounded like a loose small screw inside the unit. After removing 12 screws to separate the hanger backing and cover, I found this washer that was also used for the 12 screws removed. Don't know how this got past QA. In the usage history I see 15 minutes of 0 kWh charging 2 weeks prior (assuming that was testing).

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.45.39 AM.png

The new unit also seems to drop wifi connection often, enough to make the smart features useless because of its controls need communication. Guess it's not able to pick my IoT router signal as well. Switched to a stronger guest wifi and so far it hasn't dropped connection yet.

Hopefully it's just my bad luck with negative current/power on first unit and loose washer in second unit. Don't want a 3rd...

15. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Go for it. 3rd time is a charm as the saying goes.

16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I think I'll stick with my non-UL listed Chinese 32amp evse that I bought from Amazon for $240. Shows me the pertinent data for each charge without all the issues (and high cost) of a Juicebox.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  17. moka

moka New Member

Which one is that?

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Just my two cents. I've had great service from the JuiceBox group. My original unit stopped communicating with the phone app. I contacted them and they replaced my JuiceBox no questions asked.

19. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  20. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Once again the JuiceBox group came through for me. I first installed a JuiceBox 40 Pro back in December 2017. It quit soon after and they replaced it. Then a couple of months ago, with the JuiceBox being over 2 years old, it quit in the same way as the first unit (bad internal GFI). They again replaced it no charge and the new one is their newer design model.

I don't like having the problems but it is great that the company followed through and fixed my problem - twice!

In the interim I bought this one which works fine. I how have two charge stations in my garage. Only one is plugged in and powered up but now I have a spare. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVGX4MF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21. moka

moka New Member

Mine just died a few days ago. No power up, no LED.

Got a new unit and seeing this green leaf next to it (old one doesn't show the leaf). Now trying to figure out if juicepoints still work on the new unit.

Awesome customer service; a bit concerned about the product failing so frequently (really hoping it's just the vocal bunch).
    upload_2020-9-1_12-51-22.png