Tech Index

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Jan 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

I thought it would be a good idea to share a list of resources in one place so that people can find things easily. Add one post for each resource with a title, URL, and a brief description.

ChrisKona and Dag Lindquist like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

Hyundai Kona: Owners and Service Manuals
    https://www.hkona.com/
    This covers the ICE models not the Kona Electric, but they share a lot in common.

Lars and electriceddy like this.
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. Canada has its own recall site:
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/recalls
    It does not yet show the TSB for the EWPs service campaign.
    To find out TSBs - apparently available at public library auto repair database:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/electric-water-pump-recall.7909/#post-88759

Kirk likes this.
  7. nigels

nigels Active Member

8. nigels

nigels Active Member

Note that this site also provides exploded diagrams of parts, part numbers, and repair procedures.

9. Kanchan

Kanchan New Member

Hello to all, I bought one Hyundai kona and I am planning to open it so that I could map current and power consumed by system so that I can get the idea of power consumed by every system. There are two problem. 1- I heard if I try to open some parts then the system could cutoff and I have to go to service center to start it again. 2- I would like to know power going to motor. Its easy to measure the current and voltage on ac side of inverter but I want to know the way to calculate. Hope people here could help me. Thank you for your time.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Perhaps start a new thread on that complex subject? Installing Torque Pro is a good start.

12. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Kirk likes this.
  13. Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Lars and nigels like this.
  14. Thanks, @Toolworker. I've updated the link in the original post as well.

Lars likes this.
  15. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I have a 2020 Kona EV Ultimate Model. I am searching for the answers to a few questions re the vehicle settings. The manual is useless because it says in my manual that the car has Walk Away Door Locks. Not If Equipped - it says it has it. Never could find it so I called Hyundai Tech Support and they said they had to research it. Three days later they sent me an email stating that feature is only available on the European Models of this Vehicle. Now back to my latest questions. I researched this Forum before asking here and found nothing on the subject. Maybe I am doing it wrong and you can steer me to the right place to look. Here are my two questions. 1. How can I turn off the Daytime Running Lights? 2. When I receive phone calls I want them all to come in as Hands-Free over the Bluetooth. Some do, and some don't. I found a checkbox in the Phone settings for "Privacy" which I left blank or unchecked which I assumed would send all the calls to Hands-Free. But it doesn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kirk likes this.
  16. Regarding the DRLs, can only turn them off when parked in run mode with the parking brake activated or put into utility mode (also parked) which activates the parking brake automatically.

17. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I appreciate your response electriceddy but I am not sure how to do what you recommended. What do you mean by parked in "run mode"? Do you mean with the motor running and the car in park with the parking brake on and by DRLs I presume you mean the Daytime Running Lights? Where and how can I turn them off permanently so they are not on all the time? Can you be more specific for me? Thank you.

18. That is exactly what I meant on both counts, which I use to top off the 12 V battery monthly. Also utility mode will work the same as demonstrated by Bjorn in the video. It is handy for climate control (keep the car cool in summer for the dog if you have one with you) and at a drive in as well and possibly using the accessory battery for power back up c/w inverter (emergency during a black out )to keep the 12 V battery charged. Missing in the video is how to turn it off which is accomplished simply by hitting the start button like shutting down/exiting the vehicle normally. As far as I know there is no "DRL off" or optional button included obviously for safety reasons.

19. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Interesting Video. I had a Mazda before this Kona EV that had both Walk Away Door Locks (which I really miss because I keep forgetting to lock the car) and a feature to turn off the Daylight Running Lights. Got a New Question? Does anybody know how to unmute the radio while the car is backing up? I have read all the books and manuals until my eyeballs are falling out and never seem to find the answers to my questions. Most YouTube videos are about test driving the car. And when I call Hyundai Tech support they don't know much more than I do. Their favorite answer is for me to ask my Hyundai service manager. I'm going to start looking at the Hyundai YouTube channel. Thanks for your help on the Daylight Lights.

20. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

1. There is no way to have the doors lock automatically that I am aware. All you have to do though is close the door and touch the button on the door handle. Not so bad. If I forget, I take out my fob and lock it. It has a long range.
    2.As EEddy said there is no way I am aware of to turn the driving lights off by default. It is a safety feature.
    3.Text messages are tricky but we do have the come over the radio and it does read the message to us. It is tricky because even after you enable it on the Kona, our iPhones have settings to allow this and each IOS upgrade resets it back to the default not to do this. It has to do with notifications. They have to be turned on for messaging. Another irritating feature is that the car connects to the same person each time. If I drive it connects to the preferred person. I can be sitting upstairs from the garage and when my wife gets in the Kona to drive it, it connects to my iPhone. She drives off and has to stop and set it back to her. My advice is to keep trying because messaging works and is a great safety feature. The phone connection acts the same way. Connects to the preferred person.
    4. When you back up, the audio is always lowered again for safety reasons. There is no setting to change this.

21. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Georges thanks for the reply. Yes, I know how to lock the doors but I prefer walk-away door locks for the times I forget to lock them. As for the Email or Text Messages, I get enough of them at Home - don't want them in my car.

Kirk likes this.