Accident in 2019 Clarity.. only 3 months old

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NocEdit, Nov 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. That’s certainly true.

Determining correct tire pressure can be a challenge for some.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LeCapri

LeCapri New Member

Thank you all. I finally got my beloved Clarity back. But something happened on my way to pick up the car. So last Friday I called Caliber to tell them I'm coming to pick up my car. The Caliber tech told me that the car is at the dealership right now being diagnosed for the issue I reported. After about an hour, I got a call back and the tech informed me that the dealership told him that they need to do a transmission flush since they could not find anything wrong but that flushing the transmission should resolve the issue of the car revving up but not accelerating. When I heard it, I told the tech to tell the dealership to stop and don't do anything and told him that I was coming to pick it up immediately. Cut long story short, I got my car back and charged it at home with my home charger. Yesterday, took it out and it drove like before. No issue with acceleration, the battery seems to hold charge as it used to before the accident, all hondalink settings are still the same (they were not reset), and car drives like new. Happy again, LOL. Thank you for the insights you all shared.

craze1cars and Domenick like this.
  4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of owning a car that nobody understands...including the mechanics at your Honda dealers and other favorite shops. This is going to be a huge and ongoing issue for those of us outside of CA. Realize that in the rest of the country Clarities were sold in exceedingly low numbers, for one year, and then they were gone. The few mechanics who were trained in them, even at a Honda dealers 3 years ago never had enough cars to hone their skills with, or are slowly retiring or moving to other shops and dealerships that are non Honda related. The burden is now on the owners of these cars to help educate their mechanics when situations arise and mechanical help is required.

I put very little faith in any mechanic as far as working on certain aspects of my Clarity.

5. It must have some sort of transmission.

Part of the maintenance schedule is to check the transmission fluid and replace if necessary. Driving at slow speeds in mountainous areas may require a transmission fluid change at 47,500 miles, which is earlier than what the MM will display.

The manual calls for Honda ATF DW-1 transmission fluid.

6. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

It has a gear box which houses the reduction gears between the traction motor and the wheels. The gears are fixed and do not change the ratio. The wet clutch between the ICE and the gears is also housed in the gear box (referred as a transmission). No shifting takes place.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I over-simplified my transmission statement. It has no 'conventional' transmission as was being described by the owner or the mechanics...as in being stuck in first gear or whatever. Not possible with Clarity. The mechanics should know this, particularly at Honda dealers or at Honda Certified body shops (which have their own in-house mechanics), but clearly they don't because we're driving unicorns they've never seen nor worked on. They will often make assumptions that don't apply to this car without researching, and owners need to shut them down before they go too far awry, or suffer delays and unnecessary repairs and expenses. Owners uncomfortable with this reality should probably consider not owning their Clarity beyond warranty, or long enough that it needs regular repairs or starts wearing out. Cuz if an owner isn't savvy to how different this car is from most, he/she is gonna get taken for a serious ride by some mechanic or dealer at some point...

9. LeCapri

LeCapri New Member

Concur with crasz1cars. When I asked around, no dealerships have any mechanic with experience with Clarity, not even the dealer I bought the car from. Knowing it now that no one could work on Clarity with comfortable expertise, I'm leaning on letting go of the car once warranty is about to expire.

10. leop

leop Active Member

The current Accord Hybrid and the new Insight have similar two electric motor e-CVT drive trains and Atkinson-cycle engines (nearly same engine as the new Insight?). I think that the local dealer service departments will be able to handle the Clarity in the future if most are as good as my local dealer (Bloomington, Indiana). The service departments do need to make sure the right technicians are assigned to the hybrid vehicles. There needs to be hybrid trained and experienced technicians as Honda does seem to continue and want to sell a great many Accord and Insight hybrids.

LP