Challenge - Factory Satellite Radio Tuner Replacement

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Duke Sherman, Jan 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Duke Sherman

Duke Sherman New Member

I am looking for any information or insight on how to replace the factory installed satellite radio tuner in a 2018 Honda Clarity for an old SiriusXM one that I have.

This older SiriusXM tuner is linked to my lifetime SirusXM subscription I purchased years ago (great deal!). I can have my subscription "mapped" to my new car, but once I do, the lifetime subscription is then truncated to the life of the car. Knock on wood, I still have some life left in me and see another new car purchase in say 5 years and would like to be able to keep the SiriusXM.

My idea, although limited information seems to available yet, is to possible just swap the two and be done with it (if I can find where is in on the Clarity).

Any thoughts, or accepted challenges will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Duke

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I, too, have a lifetime Sirius subscription. After having to make one of the two (ever) license transfers after my first receiver broke, then my second receiver broke. Fortunately, I was able to have it repaired and avoided using up my last transfer.I wasn't impressed with the first receiver's performance when I used it with the Sirius mobile antenna. Now I would never drag my receiver out to my Clarity because I'm too paranoid about breaking it--I try to avoid even touching it.

Thanks to @Tek_Freek for the links to those diagrams. I've always wondered how the short fin on top of the Clarity can house an antenna. Now I see there's more antenna than just the fin. However, the antenna isn't the best--I'm not impressed by the AM radio performance (yes, some people still listen to AM radio).

upload_2020-1-3_20-13-58.png

4. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

At $60 a year for Select or $100 for All Access (and streaming and usually a free Echo Dot) is it worth it?

5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

How do you get those annual or lifetime rates?

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. insightman

I bought my lifetime subscription in June, 2005, just before Sirius stopped offering it. I believe it cost me $400. It's tied to a receiver and it can be transfered to another receiver only twice. One receiver died and I've been nursing my 2nd receiver by rarely touching it directly for more than a decade--I use only the remote, not the receiver buttons, to control it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should look for a spare remote for my ancient receiver.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

9. insightman

The antenna connection would be more difficult. I purchased the clumsy Sirius mobile antenna for my receiver, but the reception was terrible. I'm sure the Sirius satellite tuner in the Clarity is much better than my 15-year old unit. I have a Sirius home antenna mounted at the correct corner of my house with nothing between it and the satellite and that works pretty well.