New Kona Elite EV in NZ - definitely the 2020 model

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nzkiwi68, Jan 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Yah! Just got my new Kona EV - Elite model.
    I only ordered 3rd week of Nov and just took possession 3rf Jan 2020.

It is the 2020 spec. I can tell easily because;
    • It has the 10.25" infotainment screen (it's huge!)
    • It has the battery warmer (you can tell because there's a "Winter Mode" option in the EV menu)
    • We get the cabin heat pump warmer in NZ (always did)

The dealer was surprised, they didn't expect these features and spec changes and according to them had no prior notice, but I'm certainly happy about it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Congratulations, by the way it is customary to provide photographic evidence of your new EV. :)

electriceddy likes this.
  4. We've always had that as well. Works when DC charging anytime when the battery is under 15°C. I have the early (Irish spec) base model, you know, the one that NZ Hyundai dealers can't seem to move off their lots.

5. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

IMG_2779.JPEG IMG_2780.JPEG IMG_2781.JPEG IMG_2782.JPEG IMG_2783.JPEG IMG_2779.JPEG IMG_2780.JPEG IMG_2781.JPEG IMG_2782.JPEG IMG_2783.JPEG

6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

So that's the top trim in NZ, and it's true they killed the sunroof?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Yes no sunroof.

My personal preference is for no sunroof. I know some people like them, but here's my personal reasons;
    • It's too light without the shade thing pulled across, I don't like the light from above in my eyes
    • It adds weight to the car, and high up weight which is less desirable for handling
    • The roof is not as strong (because of the weight, mechanism, etc)
    • A sunroof adds cost
    • A potential for leaks and other trouble
    • Many people never open them or use then anyway

As I say, some people love them, but, not for me.

JohnJacksonHeights likes this.
  9. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Yes, Elite is the top trim in NZ. Just two Kona EV models offered as of today, Jan 2020.

10. I would love a sunroof but the NZ market in general does have an aversion to them, so they are rare here on any new car.
    The chrome strip on the hatch was added since we got our dedicated versions and the indicator stalk was moved from the left to the right.

11. With that MPH 444 plate it looks like sport mode may be in your future :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I see it's still there on the Canadian Ultimate. I'm in the love camp.

14. A couple of the last vehicles I have owned had a sunroof while I did enjoy them I never felt I got enough use out of them, sadly one of them cost me over a thousand dollars to repair outside of warranty and I ultimately regretted paying extra for both. When I ordered my Kona and when it can down to deciding between the 2 trim levels the one thing I absolutely did not want was the leather seats (but oddly I love the leather steering wheel) and I was not fussy to pay extra for another sunroof. Fortunately in Canada outside of the LED headlights and bigger infotainment screen those were the major distinction between the 2 trim levels and it was easy decision for me to "slum it" :).

15. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

16. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Does it have the 11kW onboard charger?
    Any chance you can take a photo of the label on the charger ( just under the big plastic cover under the bonnet/hood) ?

ehatch likes this.