A pillar rattle, going to dealer

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by The Gadgeteer, Dec 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Both my A pillars have a rattle when going over bumps and my headliner tends to make a slight almost constant noise as it seems to shift from not being completely glued stationary.

Anyone notice similar noises? I recall a mention within another thread about the A pillar.

I am going to the dealer today. Any advice to get them fixed without coming off as a complete wacko?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tim

tim Member

I had a rattle coming from my driver's side A pillar. I went to the dealer, who put some extra padding around the speaker. In my case, I could tell it was had something to do with the speaker because I could put my finger on the speaker and the rattle would stop. With the padding, the rattle went away.

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Yes I too removed the speaker and remounted ir with some foam. I did that because we could touch the speaker and the rattle would stop. But it didn't fix the rattle.

I then added foam strips up and down inside the A pillar which did fix the rattle.

5. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Knosn issue, but the dealer probably is going to tell you that they were not able to reproduce the rattling. (I've tried 2 different dealers). For my next service, I recorded a video to show them and listen!, just in case.

I have not tried to fix it by myself because I'm not that confident because of the air bags, or breaking any of the weak plastic pins, but it should be an easy fix.

Also I will let them know about the gap between the plastic cover for the A pillar and the dashboard to see if they can do something.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

With colder weather, I've noticed the A pillar rattle. Guess a weekend project is in order to pop those covers off and put in some foam padding.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Gadgeteer

I went to the dealer and showed someone there how the driver side is so loose just by pushing on it lightly it moves and rattles. He acknowledged it and didn’t think I was crazy. However, they were super busy. He said I would have to leave the car for a couple off days and they ran out of loaner cars. So I will return next week after New Year’s Day.

Kerbe likes this.
  9. The Gadgeteer

I had to reschedule a couple of times. The dealer fixed the rattle. I dropped off the car in the morning, got a loaner, and got my car back later the same day. No charge; no fuss or bother.

Interesting side bar: I asked if they can plug the car in before I pick it up. They drove it 13 miles according to the odometer and even less EV range ON guess-o-meter (they used heat); I suppose for testing. They surprisingly manage parked it right next to the one charging spot that is usually ICED in their small crowded lot but did not plug it in. Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Mud Killer likes this.
  10. Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith New Member

The A-pillar tan plastic trim panel rattle is caused by "free play" of the tabs where they insert in slots of the black dashboard. The rattle happens at low to moderate speeds on somewhat rough roads. Place your hand on the tan plastic trim panel (near speaker or below) and the rattle stops. So, I watched a few videos on Youtube of how to remove the trim panels (Accord, Civic, Pilot all similar / minor differences). I removed both from my car, added black gorilla tape over the tabs, and some rolled up bubble wrap (insulating foam would work too) taped in place from the tabs area to the bottom of the little speakers, and then reinstalled the panels. Rattle has stopped completely! To get an idea of what the panels look like on their back side, search on eBay for Honda Clarity A pillar trim panel. Seller posted photos of all sides allow you to see the tabs, mounting plastic pins, etc. Looking at these photos combined with the YouTube videos, made it an easy fix. Warning! If you are not mechanically inclined, don't do this--take it to the dealer. I didn't want to take time to go to the dealer, wait, pick it up later, etc., so I just fixed it myself in about an hour in my garage. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures or make a video while doing it, but its similar to other Honda A-pillars (YouTube videos).

Cash Traylor, Domenick and Mowcowbell like this.