My Candidate For Baffling Article of the Year

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by css28, Dec 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Not sure “baffling” is the correct word to use. Lazy came to mind...

3. My apologies.
    I have a Google search set up for any news about the PHEV Clarity and this came up in this morning's feed.

There's so much click bait trash out there that I actively avoid--I assumed that the Google search would filter things a little bit but this is a worthless article at every level, possibly authored by a bot.

MPower likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

What a waste of time and a load of c**p. I’ve seen click-bait articles that were more informative. You have to get out a scanning electron microscope to find any facts. He also cherry picks his sources, taking snippets out of context, and either isn’t widely read or informed or was lazy as Rick pointed out. It looks like he was just out to do a quick hit piece. And that website has no gravitas in the car review (or any) category.

He references Cars.com to state that the Clarity Electric “has a lot of problems with handling and overall performance”. If you peruse all the Cars.com content, you will find that is not the case. Also these are nowhere reported as overwhelming problems.

He goes on to state about the Clarity PHEV that “it’s handling is rather unreliable” according to cars. usnews.com. But the article he cites says the Clarity has “bland handling” and “a smooth and composed ride”. So now, he’s not just cherry picking, he’s making stuff up.

I could go on and on but I’ve already wasted too much of my time on this load of steaming poo. Well that’s 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

coutinpe, MPower and Daniel M W like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's funny--I have a Google search set up for Honda Insight and read that ridiculous, fact-free piece, too. First, the title, "10 Honda Models That Will Crumble in American Winter" is bogus because so many of the cars listed aren't available in America. Second, they trash the 2020 Honda Insight: "it has been dealing with a lot of suspension and handling problems," then praise the Honda Civic, which is the same car underneath, except for the Insight's i-MMD hybrid drivetrain, which has nothing to do with suspension or handling. As you wrote, "worthless at every level." However, if it was authored by a bot, I'm sort of impressed.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The Honda Vezel ("Crumble" Cat.) is the same car as the Honda HRV ("Indestructable" Cat.). Just a different name for different markets. It is true that any Li ion equipped car can have a dramatically shortened battery life if charged/regen at battery temps below freezing, unless it has a battery heater. US Claritys do not have battery heaters so never charge it if you know the battery temp is below 32 degrees F.

8. The article and responses brought laughter to a chilly Christmas morning.

Half the cars aren’t available in the US. It did say “American” winter, not North American. The top turd, Clarity EV, is only available in CA. Most likely, 99% are in coastal metropolitan areas and with limited range they are virtually incapable of traveling to the wintery areas of CA. How did he manage to leave out the Clarity Fuel Cell? Maybe because it won’t be able to perform poorly in winter without fuel.

Google, et al, will feed you what it thinks you want to hear, based on the data it collects from your tracking devices. It’s really just garbage in garbage out. You want to read about PHEV’s? You’ll read about PHEV’s. Sometimes what you read may be outside of your comfort zone.

The beauty and tragedy of the internet is that any answer can be found. The reader needs to be the final filter.

9. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

While the article is dross- it is equally if not more sad that anyone cares.

10. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

As they say consider the source. The author, Michael DeRosa seems to be fixated on the negatives and things he considers bad and in the business of predicting winners and losers. He does not have to have much substance, but he has pulpit so that he can say what he wants. He comes up with sensational titles, so that he always has an audience.

And it is not just Honda that he is against, very few cars, manufacturers, companies seem to meet his "high standards". Here is the titles of his 20 recent articles and you will get a laugh out of all of them especially #19 (the Honda Civic is the top car in #2 the article we are talking about)
    (If you believe I am kidding please check out his page https://www.thethings.com/author/m_derosa/ )

1. 20 Cheap Pickup Trucks And SUVs Everyone Thinks Are Expensive
    2. 10 Honda Models That Will Crumble In American Winter (And 10 That Are Indestructible)
    3. 10 New Sports Cars That Will Be Classics In 20 Years (And 10 That Will Be Forgotten)
    4. 10 Cheap Chevrolet Cars We’d Never Spend Money On (And 10 Worth Every Dollar)
    5. 10 SUVs That Won't Survive American Winter (And 10 Sports Cars That Will)
    6. 20 Cars European Automakers Tried To Make Cool…But Failed
    7. 20 Expensive SUVs That Were Built To Crumble
    8. 21 Sports Cars From The ‘90s You Forgot Existed…For Good Reason
    9. 20 American Crossover SUVs Car Buyers Should Avoid At All Costs
    10. 20 Sports Cars That Will Not Survive American Winter
    11. 21 Crossover SUVs We Prefer Over The BMW X3
    12. 20 Cheap Pickup Trucks We Wouldn’t Touch With A 10-Foot-Pole
    13. 20 American Cars People Loved 10 Years Ago (But Not Anymore)
    14. 18 Ferraris No Sports Car Enthusiast Wants To Be Associated With
    15. 20 Times GM’s Car Designers Messed Up Big Time
    16. 5 Sports Cars From The ‘80s Actually Worth Buying (And 15 As Bad As You Remember)
    17. 20 Sports Cars People Loved 10 Years Ago (But Not Anymore)
    18. 20 Expensive Pickup Trucks We Wouldn’t Touch With A 10-Foot-Pole
    19. 20 Cheap Cars You Should Buy Instead Of A Honda Civic
    20. 20 Times Dodge Messed Up Big Time

Do I need to say more?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. interestedinEV

And if you have any questions about Michael DeRosa's credibility, check out these two articles written within a span of 1 (one) week.

In a December 16 article, he says the 2020 Dodge Challenger will not survive an American winter

In a December 23 article, he says 2020 Dodge Challenger will survive an American Winter.

This is not a baffling article, it is a poorly researched and clownish one. He cannot even make up his mind.

20 Sports Cars That Will Not Survive American Winter
    Dec 16, 2019
    # 2 is
    upload_2019-12-25_13-30-27.png

Dec 23, 2019
    10 SUVs That Won't Survive American Winter (And 10 Sports Cars That Will)

upload_2019-12-25_13-32-35.png

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  13. What a depressing website. Basically a click mill.
    "20 Surprisingly Attractive Photos of Amish Ladies"

Kerbe likes this.
  14. Those are kind words.

Not everyone is as brilliant as those of us on this forum. The average internet browsing moron may accept the information presented in the linked article as gospel, and use it to make a decision.

Believe it or not, some people do care about the spreading of inaccurate, false or misleading information.

coutinpe likes this.
  15. LAF

LAF Active Member

16. interestedinEV

Don't waste your time. The site is all about scandalous headlines and irrelevant topics. They thrive on these type of articles, the whole site is full of them. Check out https://www.thethings.com/

Also quantity over quality. Can you imagine a site where I publish 20 articles in a about 3 weeks.

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

TheThings.com belongs to https://www.valnetinc.com/, a Quebec content-creation mill. It's no surprise the author doesn't provide an email address; he knows what kind of email he would get.

18. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

A.K.A. "fake news" ;)