Motorcycle with battery and "ultracapacitor"..

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Dec 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/20/nawa-racer-e-bike-ultracapacitor/

This seems to make a lot of sense. Very low losses for recapture and reuse of braking energy. This might also be an alternative to the regen starting the ICE with full SOC. On that issue, though, I can't remember the last time this happened to me. Not sure if I have just gotten better at being easy on the regen at the start of the drive or if the "breakin" of the car has helped.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

From the referenced article about the ultra-capacitor battery-stretcher:
    "this technology could go into production in the very near future"

Should we assume this motorcycle has actually traveled 186 miles to prove their claim? If so, it's great that it's not just some scientist standing at a lab bench making the prediction of near-term production. Ultra-capacitors have a very bad track record--never making it into the real world of transportation. I wonder how much the "relatively inexpensive" 22-lb ultra-capacitor will cost?

4. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Here is an interesting usage of super/ultra-capacitors in transportation. They don't have anywhere near the energy density of batteries, but very high current, and very high charging cycle lifetime.

5. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Many bus systems have been using them since buses have an ideal stop and go route which is good for ultracapacitors. The future Lamborghini is going to use them, they are like "nitrous oxide" boost for electric motors.

The issue has always been cost and size/weight, but that isn't too bad for large buses, since they are already large.

In the future it would make sense to have an ultracapacitor to catch regeneration.

bpratt likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.