Selling my clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by M. Shah, Dec 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Remember, the Clarity is quite a rare car outside CA/OR.

It might easily fetch was the OP is selling it at....

I know mine will have a set depreciated value after lease end ($14,400) but I have a feeling it will be worth more than that as Hondas do not depreciate as other brands.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Yes it might for the reason you state. On the other hand people may be put off by the initial price or the fact it is rare and the local dealer may not have expertise on the car. I have never bought a used car sight unseen. I want to drive it, have a mechanic check it out before I buy it. Others may not be that picky. So the local market will be the an initial source of buyers who may pay full price. If I need to get it shipped, I would have to factor the transportation costs and risk the car may not turn out to be what it is stated to be. (I have a friend who restores old cars and in those cases he buys them from Florida or wherever and gets it shipped but the price needs to be right and he is willing to take a risk).

OP can start with a higher price and if there are no bites adjust the price. That assumes that OP is willing to wait, which could be a few days or few months. If he needs to get rid of it fast, my 1 -c- would be to lower the price.

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

We've been all over the place on this one. My $0.02. The car only has 7500 miles on it. Owned by someone I'd probably trust more than just someone off the street since he's been part of this group. A good price for the car would have been about $37k (we didn't see the heavy discounts in Alabama that some of the country saw). Take off the 7500 tax credit and you are at essentially $30k. He's discounting it another $4k. Can't get a new one (at least here) without real trouble. This one's essentially new. I'd probably buy it if I was in the market and I liked the color and didn't find anything obviously wrong with it on inspection, especially if new isn't available without special ordering.

5. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Didnt want to spark a price debate. I can keep the car as long as I need to, I do not have any payments on it. That said if there are no bites I will start dropping the price early next year.

@Robert_Alabama : Thank you for the vote of confidence. Some of you might know me from my posts in May/June/July where I was able to help people buy Clarity Tourings for about $28500 + tax title plates. With this car, there is one small scratch on the hood and minor curb rash on one rim. Besides that the car is flawless and has 29 months of warranty left! I also have the carfax report on the car.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Rangavasu likes this.
  6. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

My first question would be, did you drive more gas miles or electric miles and by how much. I'd prefer if you said 80% gas, but kept the battery at half charged and did 2 oil changes:)

But I am probably in the minority.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

9. At 7500 miles the car is barely due for an oil change. We’re at 6000 miles with probably less than 2000 on the ICE, mainly due to 2, 700 mile trips.

It is also my belief that there is a great deal of undue concern about the SOC of the batteries.

10. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

The A01 service light came on so I got the oil changed. Didn't have to do tire since I just installed winter tires.

11. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

I got the deal of $28300 with the help of M.Shah in Chicago. I had to travel to Chicago from KC to get the car and it is worth and I am enjoying the car and recently got the parking with free level 2 charging at work place. My work commute is 50 miles round trip and another 30 miles kids activities in the evening. I have L2 charger at home. Thank you M. Shah.

chris5168, Danks, Mowcowbell and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Car is sold today. sad day. I had 4 people that expressed interest.

1. He wanted to negotiate price without driving. He had driven all 4 clarities in a 50 mile radius. Wanted it for 24k saying the car is worth less cause I am private party and winter tires damage cars. Kept increasing his offer by $300 each day. Went up to 25200 today.

2. Guy showed up unannounced. Drove the car for almost an hour. Offered $21000. Has been messaging daily that the car is losing value everyday I keep it. I told him not interested and blocked his number.

3. A couple came by and loved the car. Didn't negotiate on the price and were well versed with phevs. Knew the car was rare. They ended up buying it today.

4. An older lady came looking for her son. We agreed on a price of 25800. I told her I have a buyer and if they don't pick up today I will sell her the car.

Had plenty of dealers call saying they will pay premium and I shoulwould drive to them to get the car appraised. I told each one of them that if they are interested they can come see the car and make an offer. Didn't hear back from anyone.

czbo, Pegsie, RickSE and 4 others like this.
  14. Did you advertise elsewhere besides Facebook?

15. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Cars.com cargurus and Facebook. 3 responses from cars.com and the 21k was from Facebook

16. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@M. Shah , congrats on the sale, condolences on the loss.

17. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Thanks Robert. I will probably buy a clarity in a couple years once the cmax is done.

Rangavasu likes this.
  18. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Congrats!

19. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

This is valuable info on Midwest used Clarity values. Thanks for posting the details.

Rangavasu and AlanSqB like this.
  20. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

Congrats on the sale and thanks for following up to let us know. This makes me feel better about if I need to sell my Clarity in a couple years.

Rangavasu and AlanSqB like this.
  21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would guess that the world of electrified cars will change greatly in a couple of years. Not only will battery technology costs come down and ranges go up, the value of a Clarity might be much less after the car is no longer being manufactured. The hope for people planning to sell their Clarity PHEVs in a few years is that there will not be a newer PHEV sedan with better specs and a lower MSRP by then.

22. chris5168

chris5168 Member

Great info !

We are thinking about selling our 2018 Base with just under 26k miles in Arizona. We owe $28k on the car, so clearly upside down (took advantage of the low interest rate) so waffling if we are going to sell. Love the car, just need something bigger and hopefully all electric. Probably used Model X or back to an Odyssey.

AlanSqB likes this.
  23. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

In my case there's no interest in selling Clarity (I just really like this car). But my cost was about $37,500 purchased new for Touring. ($35000, vehicle, then $1500 for 8 year warranty, and necessary licensing fees was the rest). I then really got $10,000 in value from a state rebate ($2500) and Fed tax credit of $7500. So one might say I paid $27,500 after incentives. but yeah, if the car is worth near $26000 that isn't much of a loss from the lot.
    - I realize there's many factors, and mine has more miles at 19K miles so I might not get same, but still by used car prices I think you did well.

One last comment: I've basically lived in Oregon my whole life. Oregon has no sales tax including on vehicles. Yep, it's zero percent. So the concept of paying tax on a used car is foreign to me. Doesn't exist here (and maybe a few other states with no sales tax). And actually, until very recently, 0 sales tax on new cars. The recent change is .5 percent luxury tax on all new car purchases.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019