Clarity PHEV wiper replacements sizes?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DC1, Dec 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vicw

vicw Active Member

Thanks @ClarityBill. Your are right, of course. It is pretty easy, as you said, and it does actually work, as long I follow the simple instructions correctly. I almost did it right on my initial attempts, except for the "Mist" position thing. (I didn't know it was there, or what it was designed to do). Duh!

Putting the wipers in the maintenance position really does make them much more accessible and easy to work with, so I think it's well worth a short bit of time to put them there.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 228ra

228ra Member

Thanks for the link to hondapartsnow. Shipping was expensive but fast. Came rolled up in a small rectangular box, which was funny because the blades had a large warning ⚠️ sign that said DO NOT BEND. They installed super quickly and eliminated the skipping and squeaking issue with my one year old blades. Highly recommend over replacing the entire arm, which I’ve always done with my other cars.

4. vicw

vicw Active Member

You might consider trying your local Honda dealer. $15 a pair for mine, no shipping, no waiting, and they were kept flat during storage and handling at the dealerhip.

craze1cars, 228ra and insightman like this.
  5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Well, ebay ones lasted exactly a year as they are now doing the noise the original ones were doing. Still at $5 a pair (US shipped) is not bad.

6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I'm middle-aged now, but I remember for quite a few years of owning cars replacing a wiper was sort of a mystery. I've since done it many times, on many car models including Clarity. It's not very difficult, and lots of youtube videos on how to do it- and thanks Ray B for posting a video in this thread. My experience is that you only need to know the length (i.e. qty 2, 26"), and yes many car models have two front wiper blades of different lengths (and thank you Honda for not doing that). I also used to have the incorrect assumption I had to find my car in the catalog, then select my blade. I dismissed this idea 25 years ago, and through too many purchases to be able to count, never had a problem just buying the correct length. And the length's are actual, as in if you don't know them you can measure with a tape-measure. And as others have noted, it's often the case that a range of length can work, i.e. 26" or 27"-- i.e. if you see multiple sizes listed for your car, that's likely the range.

I presume there are always some exceptions with weirdo connectors and hence why the Michelin's I mention below come with more than one adapter-- but I've never touched a car that didn't have the same hook shaped connector as Clarity, spanning both American, and Japanese cars. I've never owned a European car, so can't speak to that.

The basic hook mechanism like Clarity is the same I've found on all cars I've touched in the last 25 years or so. Some of the blades include 'fancy covers' that have their own clip/unclip mechanism.

I replace mine religiously each Fall after the hot weather is gone, and this year selected some "Michelin Guardian Hybrid Wiper Blade" at Costco. These are really nice heavy duty feeling replacements, and they work great. Very quiet, no streaking, no problems. A good sign is when totally dry, running them on Clarity is totally quiet, no rubber grabbing sounds like the factory blades did even when wet. And of course, they actually work well too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    MrFixit and Olive like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Blaze

Blaze New Member

I have owned my Clarity for about a year and have tried everything to keep the factory blades from grabbing. I came across the Michelin Wiper Blades at Costco and have been pleasantly surprised how cheap, easy to install and quiet they are!

Olive likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Rain-X Latitudes from Amazon, and ended up returning them. I removed the outer cover, but they would not snap all the way onto the J-Hook of the wiper arm. Ended up ordering the blade refills from Honda.

10. Edcos

Edcos New Member

Anyone know if the replacements are 26" at 6mm or 8mm? TIA

11. West1

West1 Member

Trico. 57-260 26” Asian fit.

slightly longer than oem. Very close to the same look and style of oem.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. d99

d99 Member

My wipers were making a big noise as they moved across the glass and did not clean the windshield properly. I googled it and read that it could be caused by dirt on the glass, much like bits of dirt adhering to the painted car body. They suggested using a clay bar and a bit of water to clean the windshield.

Voila. It worked. No need for new wipers.

Louis Nisenbaum and insightman like this.
  14. West1

West1 Member

Trico 16-260 Neoform also fit without any issue. The arm don't look as good as the 57-260. The wiper blade itself seams the same. I've got one of each on the car now. Time will tell me which is better.

15. Dislin

Dislin Member

A wiper insert replacement from the dealership seemed to work well. Prices seem to vary quite a bit depending on the dealer. There didn't seem to be any great shipping options.

SSpiffy likes this.
  16. BobbyO

BobbyO New Member

At about 18 months and 11K miles the OEM wipers started leaving an awful smear right in the middle of the blade, and coincidentally right in the middle of the field of vision. Really nice. We tried replacing with Bosch MicroEdge, which is a conventional style 6-point lever contact flow-through design. Although they snapped right on, the top 4 to 6 inches of the blade doesn't seem to consistently stay in contact with the windshield, which makes for very inconsistent water clearing. Others here have spoken highly of the Bosch Icon, which is a beam-style design like the OEM blade, so that's going to be the next try. Stay tuned.

17. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I have Icons on mine right now. Dealer refused to tighten the damn pulley under the hood because they're not OEM when they were going past the edge of the windshield, but they do well when it isn't horribly windy.

18. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I think the windshield curvature made it difficult for the wiper to apply enough pressure in the middle for a clean wipe. After years of trying different type/brand, I ended up using the original wiper and just get new rubber inserts off amazon. Also did a coating of Aquapel. Works great in that combo.

19. BobbyO

BobbyO New Member

UPDATE: The Bosch Icons work like a charm -- I have used them in heavy rain and active snow and they perform very well. A few bucks more expensive than the OEM blade, but way more effective and quieter also.

20. markharris

markharris New Member

Now here's the kicker. on my Honda Clarity I noticed the dealer's parts dept drawing has a DIFFERENT part numbers for the driver and passenger side blades. Two different parts? Both 26 inches, but why TWO part numbers? I ordered the set of two part numbers online using the HONDA OEM numbers and lo-and-behold the attachment location of the arm is slightly different on each blade! Really. Both 26 inch blades, but one arm attachment bracket (I think the passenger side) is a couple of inches off center to allow it to meet the glass better.

21. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Interesting find. I have been getting the silcone inserts and replacing them instead of the entire blade. A lot cheaper and works better then the rubber ones.

22. FWIW: We still have the original blades on after nearly 4 years. Just posted a new discovery on the “horrendous wiper” thread.

Also of note, the car has spent most of its idle time in a garage, carport or parking structure.

23. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

l tried eBay generic silicon inserts but lasted about a year. Went back to Honda OEM but they too are lasting me a year only.

The problem is the arms are so weak that once the silicon starts to wear they start skipping and make horrendous noise.

And let’s not about the wiper fluid mechanism..