Newbie Picking up from Texas

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Bbeardb, Nov 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

Hi all! Soon to be new electric anything owner here. I’m flying out today, the day after thanksgiving, from Colorado to Plano, Texas, to pick up my car! I’ll have quite a bit of time to play with all the modes and buttons on the way home.

It’s a 2018 green/beige base model. Has about 21k on the clock and new tires. Color normally isn’t a deal for me but I’m happy to have found a green.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and maybe use this space for questions on the way. If anyone is in the Plano or Amarillo area (I plan to stay the night there) and wants to talk Clarity ins-and-outs, let me know.

Excited to join the club!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

If you are like 99% of the owners on this forum you won’t be playing with anything because the dealer will have forgotten to charge the car!

great car - you will love it. One suggestion is if you are using adaptive cruise control is to put the car in sport mode. Otherwise it takes too long to get back up to speed.

Daniel M W, Kerbe and Robert_Alabama like this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Welcome! Let us know how the drive home goes. Sounds like a good find.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Make sure your tire pressure is good to get the best range.

6. Electra

Electra Active Member

Are there no new ones left in CO? Doesn't CO have a $5000 rebate? What did you pay for the car before taxes?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

Thanks everyone. The dealer said he plugged it in this morning. I hope so!

There haven’t been any new ones in CO for awhile. I was hoping to get a new one and use the credits to knock it down to used price. And I probably still should have, but oh well.

OTD will be around $25k I believe. Im in the Uber now to pick it up at the moment.

e are

9. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

Well, this car is pretty danged awesome so far. I’m still trying to figure out what the gauges are telling me. But that’ll come with time. I was hoping to read the book but I should hit the sack.

I have to say I’m really happy to have joined the clarity club!

MPower and Robert_Alabama like this.
  10. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

I averaged 28-32mpg. Photo attached from early in the trip. Some observations after the full day driving

• LKAS is awesome in major wind. 40mph cross winds for nearly the whole drive and I barley had to steer myself.
    • ACC is amazing as well. I hardly used my feet the whole time. That combined with LKAS made for a very confident driving experience.
    • No battery (2 bars) and crosswinds make for crap mileage. I got around 32mpg computer, 28mpg my calculations for the whole trip.
    • HV charging is worthless at high speeds. Much better at city speeds.
    • I have no idea what the center sweep display is trying to tell me, other than regen. Changing blue/white inner circle?
    • I suspect with full battery, Sport mode might actually be more efficient. Seems closer to pulse and glide than the smooth sailing of Econ.
    • The car did wonderful taking care of itself regardless the mode. Which is good if you ever have to loan it to someone.
    • Variable paddle regen is sweet.

Attached Files:

11. The manual recommends using HV charge at high speed, not city/stop and go traffic.

I’ve used it once at 70-80mph and it brought the charge up from 2 bars to 10 bars in 30 minutes.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Although the crosswinds must have made a significant impact, I'm curious about what speed were you averaging? Many here report drastic drops in economy when going 80+mph. I've seen anywhere from 38 to 42 mpg in my '18 Clarity base when driving in HV mode at speeds ~ 70mph.

14. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

It doesn't mentions speed for HV charge, only for HV. 20+ minutes in one shot resulted in 1 bar. I tried multiple other times and got better, though not very useful, results when going slow or down a slight incline. It basically didn't work in a meaningful capacity for me.

Speaking of the manual, it seems rather useless to me. It spends more time explaining the seat-belt than car operation.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Mowcowbell likes this.
  15. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

The majority of the trip was on highways and 65-75mph. The last ~160 mile leg was interstate doing 83. The winds, and possibly the 2-bar charge, really took its toll on efficiency.

16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

My longest road trip so far was a round trip drive from OKC to Dallas (430 miles round trip). It was in mid-summer with AC blasting the whole way. 70mph with a full battery charge in HV mode returned 42mpg. Only had to stop once for gas at Buc-ee's near the Texas Motor Speedway. Biggest convenience store I've ever seen... the lot was the size of a Super Wal-Mart.

Texas22Step likes this.
  17. insightman

You can find things more easily in the downloadable, searchable, PDF version of the Clarity Owners Manual. It says in the HV CHARGE section on page 17 (emphasis mine):

> The high voltage battery can be charged to 12 segments in after about 1 hour of high-speed driving.
    > HV Charge is not recommended for city driving or other driving situations when you need to stop
    > frequently or drive slowly. In these situations, press the HV button again to disable HV Charge. If you
    > are in HV and approaching a destination where the vehicle can be charged, you can turn off HV and
    > use the remaining battery power to drive.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  18. Bbeardb

Bbeardb Member

Interesting. I must have an older revision manual and I’ll have to check out the link. Thank you

Whoa. Ok. Totally different and useful. I have the owners guide which I guess it different than the owners manual.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

This is a little late, but for future reference - If you are driving more than your EV range, drive in HV from the start of the trip. By doing this the battery is kept charged up and you have much more power to merge, pass and mountains. Only thing you have to remember is to put it in HV every time you turn off the car or it starts in EV and you will be down to 2 bars very quickly. Also, use the sport option with either EV or HV it really does not cut down the MPG and you get much better response when you want it.

20. insightman

I'm not sure how it works for second owners, but you may be able to order a glove-box sized paper version of the Clarity Owners Manual and the NAV Guide from https://owners.honda.com/login

21. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Keep in mind there are two versions: an Owner's Guide and an Owner's Manual. The manual is much more detailed.

22. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Sorry to have missed your earlier posts over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I live near Plano and have driven a 2018 Clarity PHEV for about 18 months. If you want to talk Clarity sometime, PM me on the forum. Otherwise, I will do my best to monitor this thread in the future.