HV range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Nikko508, Nov 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Hello everyone, and an early happy Thanksgiving to all?
    Im wondering what everyone is getting for fuel rang. My screen shows 3/4 full when I fill up with a total rang of 245. Is this normal?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Try checking the fuel level again later. The fuel gauge is notoriously slow to respond. On my first fill up, I got back in the car and saw the tank was a few bars shy of full. So I thought the gas pump shut off prematurely and I goosed some more in against the wishes of the gas pump. I ended up over filling the tank all the way to the spout. That’s not good.

The range would then be calculating on the erroneous 3/4 tank and should come up when the fuel gauge reports the true amount.
    After a fill up, mine is estimating 382 miles of HV range.
    Please let us know what happens.

4. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Kentucky ken
    This is always the way it is. It never goes past 3/4 full.
    My fuel gauge behind the steering wheel shows full, the Guage on the the screen always shows 3/4 full and I only get it to say a max of 245 range.

5. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I never look at the "guage" on the infotainment screen. There have been some posts on the forum about it, but I just ignore it. My advice is to use the guages on the dash (behind the steering wheel) for both fuel and battery.

Nikko508 and MPower like this.
  6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the infotainment 'gauge', but the one on the dash is well behaved.
    The dash gauge is always 'full' after filling the tank, and the HV range (on the dash) is always around 360 after filling.

Nikko508 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Right, i agree, but on mine the range is never more then 245. This is why I'm asking this question. Shouldn't I get more ?

9. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

20191128_075631.jpg

This is right after I filled up.

10. MrFixit

Yes, I agree that you should probably get more.

With an HV mileage of 45, and a full tank of 7 gallons, the estimate should be 315 miles...
    From my experience it usually estimates 360 miles (that would be 51 MPG and perhaps seems too optimistic).
    Ken is reporting 382 (that would be 54 MPG), but he probably does drive like an "little old lady" !

For you, with 245, that implies 35 MPG. If you don't drive like a maniac, that does seem a little low.
    How long have you had your car? There is an aspect of these range estimates that 'learn' over the course of time, and it may still be adapting.

If you feel that your driving style is inconsistent with this, there is also some chance that the 'learning' process is out of whack. If it continues to seem just wrong, you could try a cold re-boot by disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes then re-connecting. This results in some ominous warnings / errors when you start again, but they will clear up after driving a few miles. Sometimes it is worth trying this before heading off to complain to the dealer.

You might also check your MPG the old-fashioned way if it is convenient on a long trip and you are spending all your time in HV... Odometer miles divided by gallons added. Not so straight-forward if mixing EV and HV miles however.

Nikko508 likes this.
  11. MrFixit

@Nikko508 -
    One more clarification... As some have mentioned, the fuel gauge on the infotainment may not match the one on the dash. When you report seeing 3/4 after filling, are you also seeing 3/4 on the dashboard, or does that one indicate 'full' (20 bars)?

If somehow you are really only getting 5 gallons in (instead of the 7 gallon capacity), that would be consistent with your low HV estimate.

Nikko508 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

I drive rather conservatively. I try to get the most from using gas.
    So more on disconnecting the 12 volt side.
    I have a scanner that will reset the computer when replacing the battery. Is this something I need to do or should I not be considered with the trouble codes after battery disconnect

14. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

It's only on the infotainment screen that shows 3/4. Everything else shows 100% full

15. MrFixit

The errors after disconnecting the battery are not OBD codes, so I would not suggest trying to reset anything. Just ignore the messages and drive a little. When I did this, they all cleared up after a few miles. Remember, this will start the 'learning' process again so any impact to the range estimates may not be immediately apparent.

If you try this, please disconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery... It is safer because you don't risk an accidental short with your wrench to the chassis.

Nikko508 likes this.
  16. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

Thank you very much for all your information. I will try this soon and post an update .
    Thanks again..

17. wirelessnet2

wirelessnet2 New Member

FYI: the gas gauge on the dash is measuring the volume of gasoline in the tank, while the gauge on the infotainment screen is displaying the car’s estimated range based on previous driving efficiencies and other factors like temperature and whatnot. When I fill up my HV range on the infotainment will usually read more than 350 miles because I drive pretty conservatively (I’ve gotten 70 EV miles on a single charge before)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

So I did the battery rest and now I get the HV Guage to read full and the rang is at 350. We will see what happens when I drive it..

KentuckyKen likes this.
  19. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that the range is an estimate which is why so many of us call it a GOM (Guess-O-Meter). My experience is that it will substantially over estimate the actual number of miles you can go berfore you need to fill up again.

Nikko508 likes this.
  20. dnb

dnb Active Member

Mine shows ~260-270 miles when full, but I drive mostly highway so get far lower MPG/MPC(miles per charge?) than many users and live in a cold area so also run the heater.

Its 100% down to how you drive and conditions you are in. My last few long drives were through hills while in HV mode which killed the MPG.

Nikko508 likes this.
  21. MrFixit

You are quite right, and @Nikko508's Clarity could be 'correct' with the 245 estimate.

It surprises me that there would be this great of a change with driving conditions, but I think you are demonstrating there can be...
    Just to illustrate, here is the range that could be expected for a full tank if the GOM is right, and if it is 10% high as has been generally reported...

upload_2019-11-29_9-0-55.png

Attached Files:

22. Nikko508

Nikko508 Member

We'll see in a few days if driving what it says.
    I drive the high way 95% of my trip. I hardly never go over 75 and I'm light on the throttle.
    I use the HV mode mostly the Las 4 miles of my trip {depending on outside temp and how much EV gets used up).
    I would think this car should get more than 35 MPG. My 2009 civic was getting me about the same and I drove that car hard.
    I wonder how much of a difference it is between the HV and HVcharge for MPG?

23. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Gas gauge shows 301 miles left after driving 20 miles or so using ICE. No change in measurement.