Efficiency around town.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that when using the normal brake pedal, that it still uses regen if possible. The meter over on the left of the cluster shows regen where the amount depends on how hard you press the brake pedal.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

My lifetime average at 8000 miles is 4.6mi/kwh

FloridaSun likes this.
  4. Try using the "electricity use" menu while driving. Under "drive train" it will accurately display regenerated power in kW and is a good reference for efficient driving.:)

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I described the test you can do to prove that no hydraulic gets used
    except in extreme conditions. Apply the pedal slowly and try to use
    even braking force all the way into your stop. It takes a bit more
    prediction and paying attention to traffic sometimes.

_H*

6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I use regen level one and use brake pedal to stop, applying even pressure. My range in summer was over 480 km and yesterday I charged to 100% and the range was 450, so I think that is good considering 85% of my driving is on highways at 100+ km, and temperatures are lower now.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I have an easy fairly flat 50km circuit in town, flowing light traffic off-peak, which I have done twice, more or less the same conditions, one at level 3 regen and one today at level zero.
    So for both the Kona returned 9.0kWh/100km (6.9ml/kWh), averaging 40kph (25 mph), stock tyre pressure. The last 10km (flat waterfront) was at a steady 8.8. An impressive vehicle, but I'll leave the regen 0 to you, I find 2-pedal driving so retro after getting used to L3...

9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I'm back I'm glad I just drive my car as normal regen 3 then when the battery gets low I plug it in. That way I don't have to calculate every KM I drive. I bet if some people here just got in there car started it and just drove normally(what ever that is for you) you would enjoy your Kona Better. Also by doing that you probably wouldn't notice more battery use then you did by diddling around. This is just my thought.. I say diddle away to your hearts content if you like to.

10. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

We "diddlers" post in these forums precisely because we enjoy discussing all the technical aspects of our cars. If that doesn't turn you on, then you know what to do...

KiwiME and Esprit1st like this.
  11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well didn't mean to offend anyone sorry just giving you my thoughts.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

To each their own as far as making the car slow down, but thanks for
    doing the comparison and I'm glad you got the [unchanged!] results
    that you did. I'd have to work at it to pull a 6.9 mi/kWh segment; nice
    going! We can almost do no wrong with these cars with a modicum
    of attention paid.

_H*

hieronymous likes this.