EV parking etiquette

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Mar 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

This is both interesting and weird to me :) but let’s you choose the cord length. Do you just select a cable that supports the highest amperage the cars charger supports?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I got a response from email that I sent:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the use of the EV Charging Stations at the Terminal Garage. This situation has been brought to our attention more times than one and we are currently evaluating the situation to determine the best enforcement policy going forward. With that being said, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your recent visit to Nashville International Airport.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

ClarityDoc and LegoZ like this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Way to go. You and @ClarityKu are just making the world a better place. Seriously, these things are just fixed one at a time. Thanks.

MPower likes this.
  5. I love living in Oregon! I am going to print out the ORS code section a couple times and keep them in the glove box so I can post them on the #@$&%+* SUVs that park in the EV charging spaces at the local supermarket. Good info on PDX too. Thanks!

6. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

@ClarityKu is my hero. We need to help people come into the 21st century.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

This is how we should do it here in the US also. The Mennekes Type 2 is genius in that you don’t leave the most expensive part of the EVSE laying around to be sliced off and sold for scrap by a meth addict or left on the ground and run over my some bonehead. Also, if EVSEs are cheaper, because you’re not paying for the cable, there can be more of them.

BYOCord means never worrying about putting a wet/dirty/crusty/damaged J1772 handle plug in your nice clean socket.

9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I always keep a couple of microfiber cloths in my trunk to wipe off any public charger plug before I use it. I know, that's a little over the top. :)

LegoZ and Johnhaydev like this.
  10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

What not to do:
    C67EDAED-3844-45ED-BB0E-E43327BD844E.jpeg

I posted on PlugShare to notify other drivers:
    BBC07987-BDA0-4551-8FE3-AEF6B88FABFB.png

One last thing, please download and use PlugShare this lets other drivers contact you in the event they have an emergency need to charge or they notice something wrong.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Madmartigen likes this.
  11. TWC

TWC New Member

This thread is illuminating. After driving my Clarity for 5 months and over 8000 miles, I’m pretty happy with it. But I’ve been really frustrated with public charging infrastructure. I charge at home (L1), and can’t at work, but when elsewhere, I faithfully check PlugShare to find chargers, and I’ve installed half a dozen other apps (and cards/fobs) for the various charging service providers. Still, I can count on one hand the times I’ve been able to get a worthwhile charge at a public charging station. I live in a decent-sized city in the US Midwest.

Problems have included:

1. No charging stations nearby (most common!). This is particularly egregious at highway rest stops (I’m looking at you, Illinois and Ontario) and tourist destinations.
    2. Charging station not working (including a few times they charged my credit card but not my car).
    3. Cable from parallel-parking charging spot doesn’t reach the left side charging port on the Clarity.
    4. Charging station in use/ICEd.
    5. No J-1772 plug.
    6. Vehicle in adjacent spot parked on charging cable, making it unusable (one time, but still…).

And don’t get me started on the cost of using many of the charging networks…

Since the Clarity is a PHEV, this is mainly an annoyance, but I have a newfound respect for BEV owners who manage to get from A to B and back again with the state of this infrastructure. I look forward to its improvement before I consider a BEV in future. Do others share these frustrations?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I was pretty stunned at what happened today at my office. Got in early and started charging my clarity. After about an hour I saw that HondaLink notified me that my car wasn’t charging. I went out to check and found that a Tesla driver has unplugged my car while it was still charging and plugged their car in. No way they didn’t know my car was charging as the chargers blink when they are charging and stop blinking when charging is complete. I replugged my car in. I see the notes about EV-only vs PHEV since we can always use gas to get home but unplugging a charging car is rude.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I read that BMW PHEV and BEVs (and the upcoming electric MINI) have a locking feature that prevents the charging cord from being removed before charging is complete. I wonder how hard that Tesla bozo would have pulled to defeat such a lock?

15. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

What do you mean see notes?

16. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

The comments earlier on this thread about how EVs should be able to charge ahead of PHEVs since we have a gas alternative. I think first come first served works just fine.

LegoZ likes this.
  17. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Gotcha, yeah that is crap. Yes we won’t be stranded however, which is more harmful to the environment? An ev that has to wait to charge or a combustion engine running? Which ev’s should then get priority? A smart Ed since it only has max 53 miles range or a Tesla with over 200?

Also one could argue a Tesla isn’t as likely to get stuck due to the supercharger network so why do they have a need for level 2? Furthermore with ChaDemo being more scarce should EV Etiquette make it so they shouldn’t use it?

If your car has a plug-in you’re actively charging you should be able to use the charger you should however anticipate the time your car will either reach a level to get you where you need to go or will be full and move it as closely to that time as possible for others to charge. If it is a non-tracked no charge system and an ev has its charge door open then connect the other car.

My best recommendation is to get PlugShare and check in when you are charging so that if somebody does have an emergency need for charging you can be reached and move your car. Also if you are waiting to charge check into PlugShare stating waiting to charge to form a waiting list for next spot.

I made a sign that I display in my car:
    06A8B0D9-620D-48E1-BA46-3EF36475E5B2.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Madmartigen likes this.
  18. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

This thread makes me thankful I do not have to depend on public charging at all.

bpratt, LegoZ and insightman like this.
  19. I love this so much. I made my own. Also made a blank copy for others if they would like to use it. window.jpg windowblank.jpg

20. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Man, you are nice! I know some people who would have slashed the guy's tires or at least scratched the paint besides unplugging. That idiot surely deserved it...

21. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

This whole discussion is just a reflection of how much needs still to be done on charging infrastructure and battery technology before BEVs can be widely adopted. Forcing them to be adopted will be a real PITA, as evidenced on this thread. The Gov't/corporations should work first on ensuring the proper infrastructure is widely available. In the end, nobody had to legislate forcing the adoption of steamboats over sailboats, railroads over stagecoaches or cars over buggies. Convenience works like gravity... In the mean time, I'm so happy to have a PHEV!

Madmartigen likes this.
  22. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Similar to what they have in Europe, the Clarity should have had a locking mechanism to keep the charger attached until charging is finished.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If my electric MINI Cooper SE is locked, it locks the charging handle to the car until the battery is fully charged. Then it unlocks the handle so uncouth Tesla drivers can take it for their discharged vehicles.