Rooftop Solar to power EVs

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Sans Ice, Aug 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

That is awesome! Every new house should have enough solar panels to do this. And all existing building that can have panels installed, should get them as soon as possible.

Robert Bratton and Rothgarr like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Winter is when we consume more than we generate - heat pumps, short days, and it seems like lots of clouds. We are in coastal DE and our array is 9.75kW. I wish I could take credit for the thing - when we bought the house it already had the solar on it.

We have propane, but it is only used for a largely decorative fireplace (it does throw some amount of heat, so it isn't totally useless).

My next project is to get an L2 charger in the garage. Need an electrician to install the outlet first.

4. NeilBlanchard

I am having my electrical panel upgraded by adding a subpanel. And my electrician tells me that not only does the breaker for the EVSE need to be GFI, it needs to be arc fault, as well.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

All indoor? What state/locality?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

6. NeilBlanchard

No, my EVSE is outside, and I live in Massachusetts.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Double check the CB requirement. The ChargePoint EVSE I recently had installed requires a standard breaker. The necessary protections are built into the EVSE. Plugging a ChargePoint EVSE into anything other than a standard breaker may be a problem. Verify the install because many electricians are not familiar with EVSEs.