Disappointed (gearbox replacements)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sandrae, Aug 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I have over 12000 km now. Manufactured dec 21. No problems.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

People should start listing their production dates so we can see if the quarter one 2018 vehicles have a higher rate of quality control, defects.

@MLKFLOT , being a mechanic, if it's the low gear unit/ gear drive unit assembly for most during the same production period,this should become a recall. Do you think this defective part left unrepaired could negatively impact the electric motor,a controller given the gear box works in tandem with other parts for the Kona to drive?
    I am surprised they are replacing a part without any DTC codes as Hyundai tech.is telling the dealership I'm dealing with they need a code to act. Even more interesting , tech. has told the dealer there are ZERO cases for such an issue when I know we have owners in this forum with the hiss/squeal/clunk. Customer service has told me there are no other complaints matching my description.

Further,forum member,Brennan Rapaso's dealership who was proactively dealing with his issues isn't so forthcoming now.Apparently they told him the "hiss" is normal for the Kona EV?! A dealer near me has never sold a Hyjndai EV hasn't been able to get anywhere with Hyundai tech.

When the metal grinding , squeal is ear piercingly annoying, loud enough to literally replace the VESS I turned off,it's an issue.

4. BTW Tom I stopped at Wheaton Hyundai this morning and asked the Brodie (Service dept manager) their view on the 6000 km/ 6 month maintenance requirements, he advised me not to worry as nothing will be done except look at the fluids, tire rotation not necessary or climate filter as I only have 5K. He did mention 12K kms or 1 year as the limit for warranty requirements, so you may be due.

5. By quarter 1 2018, I assume you mean delivered first quarter 2019? I received mine Feb 25 but it was manufactured Dec 22/2018 ( one of the first pre-order groups Canada)
    What is your manufacture date?

6. Francois

Francois Active Member

After reading your comment, I was about to suggest that we all start including some of our car's info in our signature as we are encouraged on another forum I participate in at http://forums.aveq.ca

For example, under each of my post on that forum you can see the following:

Hyundai Kona Ultimate 2019 Red (Manufactured on August 17 2019)
    Charging station: Elmec EVduty

However I do not see a signature option in the settings of the insideevsforum. That's too bad as I find this type of info can help a lot in when trying to solve a problem or maybe when trying to make a purchase. :(

ehatch and Kitsilano like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Yeah, my dealer said 12000 too, so I will get it done next week.

9. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Ditto on the date, distance, and experience.

10. Why are you and your dealerships talking about 6 and 12 thousand km check-ups when the owner's manual suggests no such interval?

11. Mine says 24,000 km intervals (other than tire rotation) for mostly just inspections (only cabin air filter replacements). And that goes on all the way to the end, 192,000 kms. This is for Normal service.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Exactly. Not sure why dealerships are suggesting much shorter intervals. Actually, I am sure why but not sure why customers wouldn't reject their prompts outright, particularly if dealers are suggesting warranty violation for missing unsupported checks.

14. ICE models may have shorter intervals, and that is what they are used to. Or they are just trying to pad their maintenance revenues, probably not fans of EV cars.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  15. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Dealers are not fans of EVs, due to their less maintenance and less time at Stealerships, where they nickle and dime ya.
    They got 20 years to get with the program because after 2040, dealers in Canada cant sell ice vehicles and/or very limited.

Had to put this in there, why do you think most dealers dont want ya putting synthetic oil in there.....cuz less repairs and engine failures and less money fir them. Nothing, worse then thick oil trying to make it to the top end of the motor, during those -20, -30 mornings. Hehe

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  16. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

Just read a post by Blakehass describing the same noise I had.
    Update on my situation, I dropped the car at the dealership at 2pm today and got a call at 4 to say the car was ready. Have to say a huge thanks to the dealership here in Medicine Hat and in particular Colin, that was swift work. These guys have been awesome throughout this ordeal.
    The long and the short of it is that the third reduction gearbox seems to have solved the problem. I’ve only driven about 10km but I can’t hear any noise, woohoo!!
    I’ll give it a decent road test tomorrow and let you know how it went , fingers crossed .

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  17. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

Should also thank Tim, service manager at the dealership. I don’t think he could have done more to resolve the problem and keep me happy.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Now that mine is starting to make the same noise and production date is within a week of yours, this gives something to bring to my dealership when it starts happening on a more permanent basis. Sorry it took 3 gearbox replacements but "3 times lucky" is better than 0. I assume this is the dealership in Medicine hat?:
    https://www.murrayhyundaimedicinehat.com/?utm_source=google_lso_trader&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=home

19. If possible MLKFLOT please re post this issue and fix in this thread, thanks:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-issues-and-fixes.7097/
    to combine in short order a thread with references to successful repairs after issues .;)

20. blakehaas

blakehaas Member

Please tell me you have some documentation on the issue and resolution? I'd love to bring some hard evidence of the problem to my dealership Friday. I don't have a lot of confidence for them to find the issue since they don't sell the car in my state.

21. His posts are a pretty good reference particularly knowing the dealer, hopefully this will be documented in the repair issue and fixes thread with references to posts for easier identification.
    A quick phone call to the dealers service manager Colin could be an additional resource.

ehatch likes this.
  22. blakehaas

blakehaas Member

Unless I have a piece of paper with a hyundai logo on it and some diagnostic codes, my dealership likely won't listen to anything I have to say. Edit* a contact to his dealership might actually work well. Good idea.

ehatch likes this.
  23. There are other dealers if things go south, additionally your dropbox audio clip also good reference.
    If you do contact the Medicine Hat dealership and are lucky enough to acquire that repair report ( I have not received any paper details on 2 warranty repairs from mine 2 times now for different issues - although great service other than that) than please post it here or the issues and fixes thread when appropriate.