Chevy Spark has 400 lb-ft torque?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by R P, Oct 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Was at a charger yesterday and noticed this cute little light blue car beside me, and wondered what it was. So googled it when I got home.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25632693/chevy-spark-ev-used-car-deal/
    And holy crap, 400 lb-ft torque?? Must be fun surprising the heck out of a decked out super truck at a red light...

Only 82 miles range, though, so I guess why they are not too popular. But they are dirt cheap, and could be good for someone looking for a cheap 2nd car (or 3rd if you have driving age kids). Good for short commutes or grocery hops.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Wow, No wonder i hear so many spark EV owners love driving their car. I ran into one at the Electrify America charger, he loved the Spark EV.

4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

The torque does die off as the Spark gets moving. More importantly, it is a front wheel drive car and at 3000 pounds not a lightweight. This results in a lot of wheel spin, rather than acceleration. Acceleration to 60 mph is just 7.9 seconds according to Road & Track. It does compete well with and has similar range to the comparable Nissan Leaf and Fiat 500e.

5. Some others say it is faster, closer to 7.0.
    http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/06/sparkev-performance-analysis.html
    But your point is well taken, not enough grip on those FWD tires. My Kona is similar too, (with 291 lb-ft). It easily chirps (TCS kicking in) up to about 30 mph, and could be faster with more traction (slicker tires?).

Having said that, I don't think anyone buys the Spark just because of its performance.

6. It is very fun. Gives new meaning to the term "torque steer," though.
    I drive mine about 40 miles a day. I've driven my gasser once in the past couple months since I got it, and only because I'm worried about letting it sit unused for too long.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ahh, so that is what you ended up getting. I remember you looking for a used EV. Good choice, though, from what I've read and saw yesterday. And that reviewer in the video sure liked it. Looks a way better than some of the other older EVs,... more conventional, cute, not oddball like the Smart Car, Fiat and small BMW EVs. The old Leafs are pretty ugly, too.

May I ask what you ended up paying for it?

9. A bonus unexpected but I am sure appreciated.

10. Sure, it was $9,000 with just over 9,000 miles on the odometer.
    I really wanted the Fiat 500e because I like the way it looks more, inside and out. But, I got the Spark EV because it was a better deal than I could find for a 500e, and general reliability seemed better (that said, it seems to me that 500e batteries are holding up quite well with regards to degradation). Still, I've had a good number of people comment on how they thought the Spark EV was cute.

[​IMG]

DaleL and R P like this.
  11. I make a lot more lights than I used to, that's for sure.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think you did very, very well with that buy,... 9000 miles, basically new. And I know looks are personal preference, but I think the Spark EV (incl your color) looks much, much better than the Fiat 500e. And I liked your write-up, too. Congrats.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Thanks! I need to do a follow-up post soon.
    Feel free to ask any questions about it.

15. What is your "real world" range, as compared to the GOM? How close is it to 82 miles?

I am still "intrigued" by this car ever since I saw the one charging beside me, and then googled it. Would make for a great 2nd car, but for me it would be a 3rd (which I really don't need). And I still need one ICE car.

Not too many used ones for sale here (Vancouver), and all around 16K CAD. Used older Leafs can be had for much less, around 11K. And no Fiat 500Es, not sure if they ever sold those here.

16. I think the GOM is reasonably accurate. I haven't filled mine to 100% in a while -- I usually do 80-90% -- which could range between 66 and 77 miles. I think I could get the EPA rating of 82 miles.

A LEAF would be more compelling in Canada, since the battery shouldn't degrade nearly as bad as in Florida. It's a more solid car with more room. Maybe not quite as much fun. Weird thing is, I think the (used) LEAF is more expensive here.

17. I think the old Leafs are just so much more plentiful here, and on the used market because past owners are moving up. I see them at the charging stations all the time, and talking to the owners some times, they all seem to like them. And have asked about the battery degradation issue, and none have told me they have a problem. Vancouver's climate is very mild, not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. So almost perfect for EVs. Plus we have the highest gas prices in North America.

I just don't like the looks of the old Leafs (new ones are OK). They looked too oddball for my liking, with that ancient retro look (best description I can think of).

The Spark EV on the other hand is a very rare bird here. And I do like the looks of it. Sort of reminds me of an old Chevy Sprint (made by Suzuki) I had many years ago. That was also a fun little car, and incredible mileage (for back in those days).

Domenick likes this.
  18. I just picked up a 2016 here in the Vancouver area exactly a week ago. I am so happy with it, its the best purchase we've made in a while. I was comparing this, the egolf and leaf. We went with this in the end at just over 14k. I had range anxiety but I can go from the tricities, to Langley, to downtown Vancouver and back home on a single charge. My gom has been saying 140-160km range in the mornings.

R P likes this.