Share your kWh!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by CLARITEA, Oct 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just curious, what is your average on miles/kWh and anyone close to hitting that 20,000 limit per year? 20191005_112703.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I don't know about a limit, unless it is associated with a lease which we don't have.

Going way back to 2008 we bought a Prius. I did a lengthy spreadsheet about spending $5K more than the 2008 Civic which was our second option. I figured how many years it would take to save $5K in gas. The reality was it took much less time. We found that the Prius was getting such good mileage vs our 1999 Honda Odyssey (18 mpg) that we let the Odyssey sit as much as possible, using the Prius instead. So what was normally 22,000 miles per year, split 50/50 between those two cars was altered. We found the split was more like 20/80.

The same is true for the Clarity. We are at 37,407 today, having purchased the Clarity on Dec 5, 2017. That works out to 22 months, 1700.3 per month, average 20403 per year. Actually summer months we drive less so we will likely come closer to 22K miles per year by the end of 2019. Our 2005 Toyota 4Runner, that gets 13 mpg in the city, sits in the garage most of the time.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Andrew97

Andrew97 Member

Wait what is this the PHEV? My dash doesn't look like that.

5. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I track miles/KWh and show the monthly average in a spreadsheet. The numbers for the past few months are:
    Apr=4.02, May=4.04, Jun=4.19, Jul=3.96, Aug=3.99, Sep=3.87

6. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Looks like the EV version. Note the plug on the fuel icon on the right side. The 20K limit may apply to the EVs because I think they are exclusively available by lease?

Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Dang, wish the PHEV would show that info!

Monte Benaresh likes this.
  9. I got 4.8 m/kWh last month on my LEAF.

CLARITEA likes this.
  10. Are you making those calculations based on energy consumed while charging?

11. eneka

eneka Member

It's honestly pretty useless. The bar is always halfway full and goes up maybe 2-3 bars if you have the a/c or heater running.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ah, I was referring to the 20,000 mile lease limit on the clarity. Haha, sorry about that.
    Wow you drive alot on the clarity...I'm guessing it would be your daily commuter? Did you have any problems with the infotainment system where it just completely rebooted? Mines just did that at 28,000 and resettled everything. And thank you for sharing! f6e2e762a94722a07e58b71978c3aec5a7d26937.jpeg

14. I have the EV version, I'm from california :)

15. Wow that's some impressive driving!

16. Yup! You're right, it was a $200, 0 down, 20,000 miles per year back in 2017.

17. Yeah I noticed that my range drops by 10 miles if I have the AC or heater running. The heater especially...for the EV version.

18. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Yes. I have a meter installed on the 240 volt plug that will measure 1/100 of a KWh. I divide the miles I drive by the KWh I use, keep a running total for the month and then take an average at the end of the month. The highest I have gotten for a single charge is 4.72 miles/KWh. I get a lot less in the winter when I have to use the heater. Some winter months are as low as 2.7.

Walt R, Texas22Step and Domenick like this.
  19. Thanks. That would definitely give you an accurate amount of kWh’s you are paying for to charge the batteries and therefore the true cost per mile. If you factored in charger inefficiency you are probably getting about 9 kWh restored to the batteries for every 10 you are consuming.

Have you done a complete charge from 0EV? If so, how many kWh’s did that charge consume?

20. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

Yes, the last time I ran to 0 it took 13.55 KWh after driving 57.9 miles. Actually, the last .1 miles was with the engine running.

21. That’s great info. It fits right in with some other data provided on this forum that we only have access to ~65% of the batteries 17kwh capacity. Or ~11kwh.

0EV range and the car going into HV mode occurs when the battery reaches ~20% SOC and “fully charged” batteries are actually only charged to ~85%.

Your measured 13.55 kWh’s consumed would work out to ~11.5-12.2 kWh’s of battery capacity when factoring in a charger efficiency of 85-90%.

22. I typically charge to ~14.5 kwh, with a small bit of that preconditioning. I've [lately] been getting ~54 miles of mixed HW/City driving before the gas engine comes on, so ~3.7miles/kwh.

23. Mechy

Mechy New Member

My trip meter reads 5.0 mi/kWh. I drive very smoothly and average about 25mph on my commute. No heat, no AC most of the time. In the morning I can get over 6 mi/kWh sometimes (more traffic, lower speed) and evening a little above 4 mi/kWh. I find that highway speeds really kills the efficiency. Which is unfortunate because that's when you really rack on the miles. I always forget that and end up short on a longer trip.

When my partner drives (like a normal person), 3-4 mi/kWh, right on target with advertised range.

I'm not going to get anywhere near 20k miles per year with the range of the BEV. Half that at most.