Very odd issue with SiriusXM...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Casey Martin, Sep 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

I am having an issue with SiriusXM after driving for more than 30 minutes. I made a short video demonstrating the issue. I actually work for a Honda dealer but not in service. The service department has been in contact with Tech Line about the issue. They recommended to change the antenna first. I am 99.9% sure the problem is not the antenna. This problem seems like a software glitch or possibly a hardware issue. Almost like running out of ram on a computer. The CPU has to start transferring ram data back and forth from the hard drive because there isn't enough ram to store the data. As you can see in the video it is displaying live but that is because I had hit skip forward a bunch of times until it was back to live. The problem seems to happen after a 30 minute drive. A few of the stations are recording while you are not listening to them so when you switch back you will be where you left off. I believe the issue is the "buffer" is filling up causing the skipping. Once this skipping starts it will continue until the car is shut off and restarted. I assume shutting the car down is like restarting your computer. All of the data in the ram is dumped.

Of course this is just my opinion but since the Infotainment system is basically a computer that seems to make sense to me. Hopefully Tech Line will come up with another option. Replacing the antenna requires removing the headliner. I would prefer not having that done since I am almost positive the issue is not the antenna.

Has anyone else had this issue? I drive different cars for work very often. This is the first time I have seen this exact issue with SiriusXM.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Have you tried rebooting the audio system instead of restarting the car? You do this by pressing and holding the audio power button. Not offering that as a permanent solution as that would get annoying pretty fast but just one more thing to try.

4. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Also sounds like a "feature" of Howard! Lol

I have experienced this if there is an obstruction between me and the satellites to the South: building, semi, Hill or mountain, etc. In my garage and parking garage at work, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Have they fixed the issue with XM not working if you remote start and don't wait until the logo goes away before you press Start?

I canceled my subscription on the Clarity since I now just stream XM (from my Ody's subscription).

6. Casey Martin

I am aware of how to reboot the radio. I had to learn that trick for the remote start issue. I haven't tried to reboot it when the problem happens but I will the next time. I imagine a reboot will correct the issue.

I have had Sirius since Howard Stern switch to satellite. I have listened to it on everything from portable devices, aftermarket kits, factory car radios, etc. This issue is not related to dropping the signal. At least I have never heard a dropped signal issue that sounds like this. This problem seems like a different issue.

The remote starter issue has not been corrected yet. I don't know why it is taking so long for a software update to correct this issue. Tech line is aware of the issue. Hopefully a fix will come out soon.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Casey Martin

I shot another video of the issue and then doing a reboot. The reboot did correct the issue.

It happened last night as well and I did a reboot. I didn't film that. That time when the radio turned back on it was still skipping for a few seconds while the Honda logo was on the screen. After the disclaimer popped up and cleared the skipping stopped.

9. ozy

ozy Active Member

Yes, I have this issue and it's driving me crazy. One thing that confuses me about this is that it does not seem to occur randomly. During my commute it occurs in two specific places ie: about 10 minutes away from my work and also about 10 mins away from my home (when I return in the evening). However, it never seems to do it when I begin the commute. Therefore, it may be related to how long I'm driving. Since I only drive between the home and office I don't know if it would start glitching 1 hour into driving anywhere else, or if it's a location thing. I haven't tried the audio reboot yet. Would that delete all the settings?

10. ozy

ozy Active Member

By the way, this has nothing to do with Howard 100 channel. It happens on all the channels on Sirius XM. Also, once it starts you can't listen to any of them, they all skip. The only way to continue listening to radio is to switch to FM which still works perfectly even when Sirius XM is skipping like crazy.

11. I’ve had it cut out a few times for just a second. The issue I’ve experienced is that after listening to the same station for about an hour a day, for a week, I’ve heard some of the same songs numerous times.

Looks like a channel a week for the next 2 months and then, adios. I can’t imagine paying more for that service each month than I do for gas.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BrucePLSBA

BrucePLSBA New Member

My issue with Sirius XM is that it freezes. It works after I do a hard reboot. But lately, this has become more necessary. On one reboot I saw a screen message that said "CHECK ANTENNA". AM and FM get received but not SXM. I've had the Clarity for over a year and this crash behavior is much more frequent in the last few weeks. maybe a Honda software problem with a new update? Any ideas? How would I report this to Honda?

14. Casey Martin

My problem still hasn't been fixed. They replaced the main radio unit which required me to change my SiriusXM id but that didn't fix it. I still have the same issue on long trips. I also have other strange electrical issues that they can't figure out. I get a brake warning light that causes the electrical parking brake to not work which shuts down the brake hold and hill assist as well. When this happens it won't reset until the car sits overnight. This has happened about 10 times since I've owned the car. They are able to pull a code showing the error but no problems can be found. Unfortunately when this happens I can't switch to sport mode which is what I use daily so I can set the regenerative braking to max.

I stopped using the auto lock walk away feature because it doesn't always work. Also, sometimes I will try to open the trunk with the fob in my pocket and it won't open. I'll try several times and nothing. I've even held the fob in my hand while trying to open it and nothing. I then hit the trunk button on the fob and it will open.

As far as I know all of these issues are related since they all use the same computer. Unfortunately they haven't been able to figure it out yet.

My issue has been escalated at tech line to Japan. They are trying to figure out a fix now. I will update this thread when I have new information.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Numerous gremlins with electrical devices can mean a bad/poor ground or harness.

GOOD LUCK!

KentuckyKen likes this.
  16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

+1 on what @fotomoto says.
    Might be worth asking if they will unplug and then replug every harness connection they can access and check connections for good grounding.
    Have you tried disconnecting the 12V battery to perform a hard reset? This has helped others with unusual problems.

Unfortunately, our wonderfully advanced Claritys are sometimes the perfect example of the old saw, “The fancier the plumbing, the easier it is to clog the drain.”

17. Casey Martin

I have not tried to disconnect the 12v battery but I can do that if you think it might help. How long should I leave it disconnected? I assume the charge level of the main battery doesn't matter. I do know that the Clarity will not start if the 12v battery is dead even when the main battery has power. I assume there must be 12v power in order for the systems to be turned on before it will draw power from the main battery.

18. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just remove the negative terminal and count to 10. When you reattach and restart you will get a lot or warning indicators but they will all go away after a short drive. You may have to recalibrate the TPMS. Fortunately, your radio presets and menu choices will be retained. Please let us know if it makes any difference or not and we’ll add it to the collective wisdom.

19. Casey Martin

Sorry for the delay updating this thread. I ended up getting my radio unit replaced again. This was a few months ago. Since then I haven't had any issues with Sirius XM. When I had the issue before I couldn't rewind or fast forward. It showed that I could but when I tried it wouldn't work. Now it works properly and I no longer have issues even on long trips.

It appears a bad radio unit was my issue. Unfortunately it had to be replaced twice before I got a working unit. At least it appears to be fully fixed now since it has been a few months without any issues.

20. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I'll continue to enjoy my commercial-free MP3's on a trusty USB stick.

21. Dave whitton

Dave whitton New Member

Mine was the fin connection , when I removed snow xm radio start working again , I brake the snow on the roof gently by tapping on it ....
    Radio work again , in the spring I will look at it ,
    I try multiple time tapping on the roof radio work and don't work , so I am certain is a bad connection