To wrap or not to wrap...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robbert, Sep 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Hi everyone!

I have approached a few shops here in the NH/MA area to see what the costs would be to put paint protection film on the bumper & hood of the car. We do get our share of rocks that fly up off the road, and it seemed like a good idea. But pricing is up there! Best quote so far for the hood & bumper only that I got was $1500.

Since it seems like there are lots of folks here on the forum with a lot more miles (and time), I figured it was a good idea to ask if any of you did anything similar, and if not, how did the paint / bumper hold up? No grille seems to make for a rock & debris magnet.... But maybe it's not all that bad...
    And if you did put on paint protection film, how much did you pay for that? Is $1500 a reasonable price?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lots of info on wrapping here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/thats-a-wrap.4800/

Robbert likes this.
  4. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

5. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

I left the bumper alone and did the front portion of the hood and fenders, as well as the mirrors. Paid $200 for it. The bumper would've been about $400 alone and not worth it for me to do when I can paint the whole thing for that.

6. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Interesting! The quote I got for just doing the bumper was $895. The hood and 1/2 fender added another $700 to get to a total of $1600. If I don't do the fenders, I'm back down to $1500, which is what I was thinking of doing.

When you say repainting the bumper is less than $400, is that you doing it yourself? Or having a shop do that?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

My best friend is a painter and it's been his full time job for 30 years. He charged me $600 CAD to paint from the windshield to the front of my Cmax a few weeks ago. It had a fair amount of small stone chips from 4 years of driving and 155,000 kms.

No idea on what the retail on that would be.