Empty tank and dead battery test video

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KK Mui, Sep 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

We had heard that when you first run out of gas it gives you the "vehicle will stop in X miles" message based on the number of EV miles left. Then when the battery is about to run out you get the "Stop the vehicle when safe" message. However looking at the odometer in the photos it looks like the "stop the vehicle when safe" message appeared just a tenth of a mile later. With 46 miles of EV remaining that seems a bit soon to display the second more critical and urgent warning message. I can better understand now why another forum member recently complaining about that message being unnecessarily alarming, if you still have that much range left. The first message seems like it would sufficient (and virtually impossible to ignore) until you are down to say five miles of EV range then the second message would make sense.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

At 3 bars, I still had over 1.5 gallons and the low gas light hadn't gone on. Most of us would be looking for gas before 3 bars so 1.5 gallons and whatever you have left in the traction battery should get you to a gas station no matter where you are (outside of Alaska).

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What's with the "Vehicle may move when parked" message? Does that mean if you run out of HV battery power you cannot put the Clarity in park? Or is it a reminder that when your propulsionless car rolls to a stop, you have to select Park to keep it from rolling away? What about the parking brake--I'll just yank this lever to...wait! No parking-brake lever!?!? Is the parking brake inoperable when the HV battery is dead? I'd expect that both Park and the parking brake would work if the 12-Volt battery had juice.

5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I think that message only applies to cars in California, near a fault line!

MPower and insightman like this.
  6. It would drive the way it normally does in EV mode.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

Ok, cool. thanks for that.