How Accurate is your GOM?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RobinBrain, Aug 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I can either beat the EV Range estimate, or fall short depending on how I drive. It seems to me the EV Range estimate leans more toward a light foot on the accelerator. I'm 72 years old and more likely to drive very conservative most of the time. In most cases I'll arrive home having used less EV miles from the estimate than miles actually driven.

If there are times when I know I'm late for an appointment I'll push the ECON mode by depressing the accelerator to the detent point but not kicking on the engine. In a case like that I'm accelerating away from stop signs and traffic signals faster than any of the other cars around me. These conditions will easily lead to my burning through the EV Range estimate.

Harold lowery likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RobinBrain

RobinBrain Member

How did you factor out the EV range? Did you just subtract 35.5 miles from the trip miles and then divide by fuel up?

4. K Wolmar

K Wolmar New Member

Posting here in the interest of Big Data Collection--I bought a CPO 2018 Clarity, and in my first 1,063 miles of ownership my GOM registers at 89.3mpg and calculated is 79.5. I was planning to clear the Trip A odometer but I think it might be a more interesting experiment to see how it does for 2,000 accumulated miles. At 1,000 miles individual trips on EV/HV still affect the overall calculation in real time.

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Interesting experience with wild GOM today. I was commuting on a 57-mile round trip. I left with 61 miles EV range and 228 miles HV range. I drove EV for most of the going trip except for the final uphill segment (about 3 miles), then I switched HV on. Arrived with 23 EV and 222 HV miles left (Clary ate 38 "GOM EV" miles and 6 HV miles on those 28.5 miles). Heading back, went EV downhill at start and gained like 1.5 EV miles. Then I hit traffic on a rather flat terrain and strangely my EV miles kept disappearing at a faster rate than the actual miles I was driving. Then for getting out of Simi Valley through that steep 118 climb into SF Valley I switched HV back again with about 10 EV miles and the same 222 HV miles left. In spite of the HV being on, all my EV miles quickly went away down to ZERO in two miles while I was still climbing, although the battery gauge remained at two bars. When reaching the summit and start going down my HV miles had gone down only 2 miles while all EV miles were gone. I put the regen in 4 chevrons and drove coasting downhill for about 4 miles braking every now and then to keep distance from the car in front of me (slow truck) but the EV miles remained stuck at ZERO. When I finally left the freeway and had around 4 miles of downhill street driving, I turned off HV to see what happened. The car switched to EV and kept "charging" on the green zone except for when starting to move after a green light but still the EV guess-o-meter remained ZERO. When I got back and plugged in, HondaLink shows 10% battery left but still ZERO EV left. Might this 10% be the result of regen while driving downhill or is it that "buffer zone" some folks have mentioned before? Does the EV estimate get stuck at ZERO no matter how much regen does it get? When (sort of) calculating the actual EV miles I drove (substracting the HV miles spent (8) from the total miles driven(57.2), it gives me 49.2, far from the 61 the GOM was giving me at start, unless part of it is "hidden" on that "remaining" 10%?
    Any ideas? Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Update: after around 25 minutes charging at 16 A L2, the HondaLink GOM shows 25% charge and "8 miles EV range". I guess the relationship between charge left and EV "GOM" range is not linear, otherwise it would give me 32 miles EV when full. We'll see what happens when it gets to 100%

7. To remove this ad click here.