Regen and Brake Lights

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FlbrkMike, Jun 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I don't understand all this concern about brake lights. If you take your foot off the gas in an ICE car then there are no brake lights - ever!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dborn

dborn New Member

I think the concern is that since most everyone is used to ICE cars slowing down naturally at a certain rate, anything beyond that will turn on brake lights in a non-EV (unless using heavy compression in a manual transmission car), an electric car slowing down quicker than level 1 or level 2 regen (in a Kona) should warn other drivers of the car slowing down quicker than the expected rate. Makes sense?

4. That is exactly what the Kona does. Once you slow down more than letting of the gas (ICE equivalent), it will turn on the brake lights.

However, if you come to a complete stop using the steering wheel paddles, the brake light will turn off again.

That's what most people are afraid of. Sitting at a stop light with no brake lights to warn approaching drivers.

I get the point but don't feel like it's a HUGE issue. I'd prefer them to stay on, though.

I feel that if someone doesn't notice your brake light and rear ends you because of that they would have probably rear ended you anyways, because they are not paying attention to anything. (Just saying)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

eastpole likes this.
  5. dborn

dborn New Member

I agree with you on that. In my manual transmission car, I usually let go the brakes once stopped on level ground and when driving an ICE with automatic transmission, I usually put it in N to reduce the drag on the engine. If I see a quickly approaching car behind me, I will usually press my foot on the brake so as to light up the brake lights. I guess concerned EV drivers could always do the same too.

6. This is why I like using ECO mode. Don't need to touch paddles. It slows down in regen (up to 3 bars) with brake lights on, and I apply the brakes manually to come to a complete stop at the end. So no worries about a following car not knowing that I am slowing down or at a stop.

The only downside is when I get in our other ICE car, as it feels weird to have to apply brakes all the time to slow down. Seems like it wants to coast forever...

Kitsilano likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. But you know you can program the default regen levels for the three main driving modes from 1-3? I used ECO for the first few months as 'training wheels' then graduated to Comfort mode which of course has a much more useful speedo display. All driving modes I've set to default to level 1 but I adjust regen levels as needed for hills. But I generally avoid the half-baked left-paddle-hold function because drivers here are bad enough to not see that I'm stopped and so I want the brake lights to be on. With our no-fault medical insurance drivers have little incentive to be careful.

9. Yes, but I believe there are other capabilities of ECO mode that optimizes your efficiency (climate control, etc). And I like the softer pedal touch. I still get full power if I tromp it, so not missing anything there. I don't like a hair trigger throttle.

10. No, I didn't either and that's why I liked Eco, but I seemed to have gotten past that now and am fine in Comfort, no spinning tires now. Other than the advantages of the soft pedal calibration as mentioned in the owner's manual, I haven't seen any difference in returned economy. Eco+ is a different story as it limits your climate options significantly.