First road trip since purchasing the Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Just finished a 210 mile drive with the family (2 adults, 2 kids and luggage) from Lakeland/FL to the Fort Lauderdale area. There are no Level 3 stations inbetween.. Arrived at the Level 3 charger with 23% charge remaining (56 miles). 210 miles with 4 people in the car and AC on and some heavy rain on the way and about 266 mile range is not bad.. Charged at Electrify America while having lunch without issues.. $13.50 to charge to 80%

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Which rate did you get charged?
    Almost sounds like the low tier rate.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. sosmerc

sosmerc New Member

So that works out to about 26 cents/kwh?
    Wouldn't it be cool if there was a readout where you could program in your per kWh rate and then get a realtime estimate of what your cost per mile is?!

5. FloridaSun

It was a 50kw charger. I intentionally looked for the 50kw charger as I didn't want to pay the $.58 per minute.. There were 150kw and 350kw chargers in the area but I wanted to pay less.

6. FloridaSun

$.21 per minute and $1 session fee

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

Energy delivered is of course incorrect.
    Screenshot_20190809-160721_Electrify America.jpg Screenshot_20190809-180804_Electrify America.jpg

9. FloridaSun

Despite charging on a slower 50kw charger, charging finished faster than I was hoping as I had to interrupt lunch to disconnect the car to avoid idle fees of .40 per minute.

10. FloridaSun

Just checked my e-mail receipt.. it shows that they gave me a $13.45 discount, effectively paying nothing.. Not sure why?

Screenshot_20190809-181827_Gmail.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  11. sosmerc

sosmerc New Member

I still get confused from the numbers.....energy delivered .02 kWh ?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

Glitch in the system. My guess is about 36 to 37 kw used.. 57 percent of 64 kwh is about 36.5 kw..

14. sosmerc

sosmerc New Member

Thanks for clearing that up, it just didn't make sense, but like I said, I am still new to the EV game.

15. Grace period? Is that the time before idle fees occur after charging has ended?
    Perhaps the free charge was due to the mistake in the total energy delivered, need more machines like that.

16. FloridaSun

I'm not sure... i definitely won't complain :D

electriceddy likes this.
  17. FloridaSun

I will use the same charger again when heading home.. Hopefully it won't charge me again.. Charging without being charged for charging :D

Esprit1st and R P like this.
  18. FloridaSun

19. FloridaSun

20190810_133043.jpg 20190810_132720.jpg Day 2 of my trip. After sone local driving, I was down to 69%. Wife had an appointment, so I went to a free Level 2 charger in front of a Park. Took the kids to the playground while car was charging. After 1.5 hours, car was back to 80%. About 5.7kw speed.
    Have to get to at least 90% for the trip back home tomorrow..
    I could take a route that ia 30 miles longer with a Level 3 along the way.. If I take the shortest route, there are 200 miles without a Level 3 charger and only 4 Level 2 chargers at car dealerships and you never know if they let other brands charge. Later today, we will be at Sawgrass mall which has 4 chargers but they are often occupied.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  20. FloridaSun

Another update.. I'm at Sawgrass Mills mall now.. initially, all 4 charging spots were taken.
    One Model S which wasn't even plugged in, one Model 3 which was finished charging but didn't move the car as also a Volt and a Clarity who both were finished and hadn't moved their car.. Luckily, I checked back 30 mins later and the Volt had left and I'm charging now while shopping at the mall.. 6 kw speed. Not too bad.. should be close to 95 percent when we leave the mall..

21. ^^^ ? Malls are unfortunately bad for that:mad:

22. FloridaSun

I think that EV makers should inform buyers about EV etiquette..
    Ended up getting 96% charge tonight.. will be back there tomorrow before heading home to get to 100%. I was the last EV there when I left.. 20190810_212622.jpg