Side window broken...fragile?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by 5thdan, Aug 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

That’s my assumption too.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

You can purchase custom shapes of laminated glass (but only if it is flat).
    Here is an example: https://www.onedayglass.com/types-of-tempered-glass/laminated-glass/

I can't check right now, but it is highly likely that this side window would have a slight curve to it.
    This would also not be viable if the glass is encapsulated with a molding as mentioned by craze1cars.
    Hey, we have to try and be creative with the kind of replacement part costs we have been seeing !

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. Hoon

Hoon Member

Hi craze1cars, if you look carefully you’ll notice a difference in color hue from that triangle piece vs driver side window. Also, on the glass, theres an etching saying Temperlite or something like that (also on rear passenger side windows and rear window) while the front windshield and front driver’s side window says Lami-something.

Lower the front-side window a little, you’ll be able to count two layers.

I don’t know why the triangle piece tempered glass didn’t shatter and spill down. Maybe the rubber surrounding is holding them together?

Louis Nisenbaum and craze1cars like this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

All very possible. I have not read my glass markings my car is not home it’s on another multi day road trip in wife’s hands. As you have read yours, I’m now believing you may be absolutely correct on all counts. Thanks! And welcome to the forum....

6. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

All eleven of our windows are made by AGC Automotive, Lamisafe and Temperlite are two of their brand names.

Lamisafe (windshield, driver and front passenger side windows)

Temperlite everything else (all four "vents", rear passenger side windows, rear window, trunk window)

Interestingly on some of the windows on the passenger side the info is reversed, only readable from inside the car.

From the AGC website:

LAMISAFE

Mandatory for windshields, using Lamisafe for other car windows further enhances safety.

Safer in the event of accidents: in case of glass breakage, prevents sharp pieces of glass from being propelled inside the vehicle.

Efficient against break-ins: slows down intrusion attempts (typically by more than 10 minutes).

Protects your skin, total block of ultraviolet (UV) rays.

Substantial reduction of external noise for a more comfortable and focused drive.

TEMPERLITE

Temperlite offers an outstanding impact resistance: three to five times stronger than ordinary glass at the same thickness.

Safe in event of accidents or glass breakage: because it breaks into small unsharp pieces, it reduces very significantly the risk of any serious injury or harm.

KentuckyKen and craze1cars like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 5thdan

5thdan New Member

The car did come with tint. Thanks for the reminder for the insurance quote. I added the duct tape visible in a previous post a few minutes after the impact to minimize the chance of further breakage or failure of the window. I am also going to go by the dealer this week to see if they can help me in any way. I am not optimistic, but it can't hurt to ask.

craze1cars likes this.