First Vehicle "A01" Service

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dstrauss, Apr 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I got the car 5/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Ar first I thought that was awfully quick for a first A01, but 1,183 miles in about a month may mean that the MM is calculating that in 6 months the car will have around 6,000 miles give or take how long it was at dealer before purchase. The 0 for inspection and the 1 for tire change seem to kind of make sense, but the A for oil change would seem to greatly underestimate the remaining oil life considering that a lot of those miles are EV.

No one knows for certain exactly how the MM is calculating all this.
    For example at about 3 months and 2,000 miles, my MM is showing service due in 8 months or about 1 year and an estimated 8,000 miles from purchase. Out of the 2,000 miles only about 100 have been in HV.

4. 2ndEV_ClarityPHEV

2ndEV_ClarityPHEV New Member

6150 miles... I just got the A01 message. I have hardly used the ICE... it seems very strange that the oil and filter need to be changed.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Seems strange to me too and I’ll throw this out... I make the assumption that it is calculating the oil life milage on total miles not ICE operating miles or even HV miles which of course greatly underestimates the remaining oil life.
    I think/guess that the HV range over estimate is from the same thing; using total miles instead of HV miles.

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Quoting myself. If you take it to the dealer for A01 as I did, please ask them to read the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) and report the actual engine hours or miles. Still believe the data is there.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brooke

Brooke New Member

I'm 2 days overdue on the A01. Overdue notice is posted in days rather than miles, which would seemingly be more relevant. Mileage 7654. Car bought 10.2018, so about 9 months. Cost of service given as $120 (Seattle). Any guesses as to how much overage (in time? in miles?) is allowed prior to warranty invalidation?

9. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Another factor is oil "ages" once put into service. Regardless of engine use I have seen recommendations to change the oil every 6 months with others saying going up to a year is OK.
    If the car was bought 9 months ago and the car was on the lot for a couple of months prior to your purchase then it is probably not a bad idea to change the oil.

Brooke and MajorAward like this.
  10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Especially with the synthetic oil used by Clarity one year should be fine. I plan to change at eleven months just because I don't always hit my target dates and I want to make sure that I don't go over a year since that is what is stated in the manual. I suppose it's unlikely that there would be a warranty debate if someone went slightly over one year but I would rather just remove that possibility from the equation, and anyway I don't think 11-12 months for oil change is overkill even for a lightly used gas engine.

Some people also like to do an early first oil change. But I don't know how much of that is just old school from the past when car makers used to put break in oil into cars which you were supposed to keep in for only a certain number of miles. Nowadays I would suspect the only concern is metallic particles which could be more prevalent in the first few thousand miles, but I would think the magnet at the bottom of the pan catches that but I don't know.

The Gadgeteer and Brooke like this.
  11. Brooke

Brooke New Member

My dealer volunteered that the service would only be $70 if the tires did not need rotation and $15 more if they did. They did. I appreciated the clarity and that it was much less than the rep on the phone had stated ($120). They could not distinguish elec vs ICE miles driven, consistent with what has been dismayingly reported here. Got a much needed wash and a vac as well.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

This probably has been mentioned already somewhere perhaps even in this thread. Admittedly I didn't check. So service on our Clarities tends to get "bundled" to avoid too excess trips to the dealership. For example A01 service is both tire rotation AND oil change. Knowing this when I received the A01 service reminder at sometime shortly after 6000 traveled miles in about 6 month (which is probably less than 2500 engine miles) I reset the tire rotation reminder and left the oil without being reset. The A01 reminder went away. Presumably for months until the oil age will force some sort of reminder to come back. I don't mind rotating my own tires but rather have the dealer change the oil to avoid any warranty disputes since they will have records. I plan on doing the A01 sometime soon anyway as soon as there is a nice dealer coupon or something but it is nice knowing that I am not exceeding the Honda recommended oil life despite the original A01 reminder at around 6000 miles.

stacey burke likes this.
  14. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

We just got another A01 Service notification (3rd one since purchase) after our car has reached 18,000 miles. Did anyone else receive the same notification?

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did your second A01 happen at 12,000 miles?

16. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I got an A01 at about 6500 miles. But since I had the dealer put the winter tires on and then take them off, I reset the tire rotation button after I got the A01 nag and it went away with the remark that the service would be due in about 3 months. I am now waiting until the nag reappears, my guess is that it will reappear at about the one year anniversary. Will keep you posted.

17. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

1st oil change:
    OD: 7070mi, Est Engine: 4155mi
    2nd oil change:
    OD: 14532mi, Est Engine: 3527mi
    Oil analyzed: should be good for 10k mi
    3rd oil change:
    Planned for 1 yr. Current OD: 23277, Est Engine: 3130mi

Est Engine miles based on conservative (for me) 45mpg x total number of gallons consumed for the period.

18. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Yes, w've got second A01 notification between 12,000 - 13,000 miles

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sounds like your Clarity's Maintenance Minder likes new oil every 6.2K miles (10K km) or so, which is what many forum members have reported.