Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Short POV (electric)

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by reallycantdrive, Jun 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. reallycantdrive

reallycantdrive New Member

Hi guys,

Here is a short video showing the 2019 Kia Niro PHEV being driven for a short distance. Hope you enjoy if you are looking to buy one.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I just don't see the point in this car for most folks. If you live in a warm climate, get an HOV sticker, or can get the car for less than the price of regular hybrid with tax credits, then the car makes some sense.

The think the 6 speed transmission makes the car over complicated for a PHEV, the lack of an electric heater makes the car a warm climate vehicle, and the battery is a bit too small.

Frankly, I think you buy a PHEV so you can drive the car the majority of the time as an electric vehicle and have a gas engine backup for longer trips. Without an electric heater, this car doesn't do that unless you live in a warm climate.

Go to the Honda Clarity forum and you will see how a PHEV should be designed.

4. reallycantdrive

I get your point. I do most my miles within the 36miles battery range. Apart from the winter, most my miles are done solely on electric so my fuel costs are super low. And I know I can go on longer trips with the petrol engine. The hybrid would make more sense if I did more miles everyday. The transmission does make the car complex but it means it's normal to drive if you are shifting for the first time

5. John321

John321 Member

I'm in the exact same boat as reallycantdrive. I make two 30 mile round trips each day with 6 hours between them. With my Level 2 charger the PHEV Niro is the perfect car. We make the first trip, plug in and latter in the day make the 2nd trip. Car is fully charged in 2.5 hours and ready to go 30 + miles on pure electric. In our area with electric a $.08/KWH this works out to $.64 to drive 30 miles, a real money saver over time. Also if I want to pick up and drive to California no big deal, the car gets over 50 mpg on gas and has an over 600 mile range on one tank of gas. No worries about trying to arrange your trip around charging station availability For my money the perfect car!

6. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I can certainly understand that rationale. I really do love my 2016 Volt. It can do about 65 miles on battery driving carefully, then gets about 43 mpg on gas. After 35,000 miles, I've gone through about 3.5 tanks of gas total. I think the PHEV market could have been hotter if vehicles had slightly longer range on battery. At the time, and I think even now, the Volt has the longest range on battery before kicking over to gas - which has meant that we have driven 97% of our miles on battery over the last 3.5 years.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

The Niro has much better seating for people in the rear. I’ve owned the launch year Niro to compare it with my Clarity and my wife’s optima Hybrid. When I sit in the back of my Clarity my head is up against the ceiling. Yes they should have given more range (you can honestly say that about any of the PHEV) but you are always going to want more. The lack of either a heat pump, water heater or a PTC heater is just baffling to me though.

9. reallycantdrive

It's all about price. They have got the balance between making it affordable which means lower range because of the high spec of the car. For most though 36miles is plenty.

10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I’m seeing it is a 26 mile rated range?
    https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/niro-plug-in-hybrid/2018/plug-in

“The Niro Plug-In Hybrid delivers versatility right down to its power source. With the push of a button you can go all-electric using a high-density, lithium-ion polymer battery with an estimated EPA rated All Electric Range (AER) of 0-26 miles. And you can be confident knowing you'll never be stranded with its hybrid gas-electric HEV mode.”

11. trex8

trex8 New Member

EPA rated 26 miles, if you get in the car and the hvac fan is already on, the dash will show only 24 miles even if fully charged. I drive 35 miles round trip to work, the battery will get me 32-33 miles on a full charge before showing me zero EV range on the dash and kick into hybrid mode. Engine only kicks in if I floor it (rare) or if I use heat. Live in Chicago burbs.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. John321

John321 Member

My experience is the same as yours trex8. I would add that in my area now that it is colder my EV range is staying at the 26 mile EV range.

When it was warmer my range stayed in the mid 30 range ( 32 - 35).

14. I did look with envy at the 440 miles range remaining in the video. The 240 range I typically have (280 when I charge to 100%) is not a significant worry for me, but I do have to think about when I am going to do my next charging cycle. I have not taken a long road trip yet. There are plenty of DC chargers in this part of the country, and an hour break every 4-5 hours of driving actually seems kinda nice!

My big thing is carbon impact. A person in my work group got his Niro PHEV around the same time I got my EV. I think about how mostof my driving would permit all electric travel even on the 8.9 kWh battery (except visits to my Mom in SF. RT about 80 miles, and I would not have an L2 charger during the 2-4 hours visit) and the total manufacturing carbon cost would have been lower, and I bet the turnover point for when the EV has a net lower impact would be many many miles down the road. (and the car would have been less expensive up front and I could have gotten that lovely Deep Cerulean). For my typical driving patterns it is a bit of a toss up. If I was more of a range anxiety person or lived in a less wired up part of the country, it would have been a no brainer to go PHEV. Maybe I will get one for my son for his next car.... :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    niro525 likes this.
  15. ITown

ITown Active Member

I think the PHEV is the best option for people who live in a house, have a short commute, and don't care about performance too much.

I think the hybrid is the best option for people without a house and who drive long distances regularly.

I think the electric is the best option for people who have care about performance, live in an area with decent charging/fast-charging charging infrastructure, and drive within a 300-400 mile radius.

I think the electric would be painful to own if you are trying to travel much beyond that, because the # of long charging stops will get irritating and because there are a lot of holes in fast-charging coverage outside certain states.

PHEV has an advantage of having a smaller environmental impact from the battery manufacturing. As long as you rarely need the gasoline engine, the smaller battery is actually preferable, IMO.

16. John321

John321 Member

The PHEV has close to a 600 mile range with a full tank of gas and full charge.

We like to travel to National Parks in our park system and it is nice to pull in a gas station and have a 5 minute turnaround to get back on the road with your range replenished.