Does Climate Control Start via key fob work for you?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Jul 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

Since we have been dealing with some scorching weather lately, I have been trying to use the fan button on the key fob to start the air conditioning. It has not worked. I assume I must be doing something wrong. I hold down the fan button, but don't see any acknowledgement from the car, and when I stand outside it hear no noise, and when I get in, I can tell it hasn't been running. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

You have to press the lock button first...

upload_2019-7-23_8-7-34.png

One other annoyance is - the climate system shuts off as soon as you open your drivers door to get in.
    It turns on when you power up the car, but it would be nice if it remained on the whole time.

4. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Hello. In my car works good. I follow this steps:
    1. Lock the car (no matter the car is already locked)
    2. Press and hold the fan button on the remote. lights will blink and hold it until they blink again. That will be the confirmation.

For me is really useful to turn it on from the balcony or when I'm leaving the car for less than half an hour (for example a quick stop on the supermarket) so I close it and immediately turn it on so the car doesn't get hot.

5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

The remote fob won't work for me as I am about 1/4 mile from where I park and work.

I wish there was a way the Honda Link app would allow me to turn on A/C from anywhere in the world via cellular link....

6. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

I'm not sure if I'm following you, but if I understood you question, yes, there's an option to do it as you described. Just open the app and in the bottom panel you will find the option. It takes around one minute to complete the command and works fine.

20190723_092954.jpg

DVoran and fotomoto like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I agree and I cannot think of a reason why it does that. I don't always start my car right when I get in.

Daniel M W likes this.
  9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks very much. I knew it was simple.

So, I think my routine on really hot days will be 1) Lock Button 2) Hold Fan button until Light Confirmation 3) Hit unlock key twice and hold to roll down windows. The rolling down windows will not stop the A/C, right?

10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Rolling the windows down is only useful when the car has been sitting and AC has not been running and the cabin temperature has gotten hotter than outside temperature. In those situations before starting AC you roll down the windows to allow the heat out so that at least it isn't hotter inside the car than it is outside. Then you roll the windows back up and start AC.

But if you have been driving and just want to keep the car cool while you go inside the store, you want to keep the windows rolled up.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Although you can roll down the windows to any level worth the fob, you can’t roll them back up with it. So once down, they stay down until you return to the car. I only use that trick just before I get to the car to let the built up heat out.
    If I’m away from the car for an extended time iand it’s in direct sun and it’s 90 F+, I leave the windows cracked an inch or two. Then use the remote AC about 5 min before I return. Seems to work well and require less power.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KClark

KClark Active Member

I've been meaning to ask this. Here in LA it's been warm for 2 months. I park my car at work and want to crack the windows slightly. I do the fob procedure, press unlock, press unlock again and hold until the windows start to come down. In two months of doing this I've only been able to open the windows about an inch or less twice. Every other time the windows open around 2" which is just a little too open for my comfort level. I've really tried to time it, holding the unlock button for a few seconds and then letting go but that just stops it before the windows move. And when the windows move and I stop immediately they open just a little too much almost every time. Anyone have any tips for doing this?

14. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yes, I am simply talking about the routine I will use when walking back to my locked car before I get to it.

15. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

If you weren't running climate then using the fob to open the windows as you approach the car makes sense. However if climate was running there is a good chance the temperature inside the car will be cooler than outside temperature so you wouldn't want to open the windows as you approach the car. Although that depends, if the car was sitting hot for a long time and you used the app to start remote climate before you went to the car, even after thirty minutes the cabin might still be a little warmer than outside air. But if the car was already cool and you ran climate while you went into the store then likely the cabin is still cool. Either way I don't bother with rolling down the windows unless the cabin is pretty hot, but I don't know maybe I should do it more often if there is even a relatively small difference in temperature.

Several years ago there was an option on Prius, I think it was the Prius v (the wagon) with a solar panel, the electricity was used on hot days to ventilate the cabin while parked.

16. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Yes, the scenario I'm talking about is where I am walking to my car from a store. It will take me less than 30 seconds to get to the car. I'm trying to get the >100 degree air out of the car and start the cool air running. Just to prevent getting into that 120 degree air that was in the car. I need a macro on my key fob!

17. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

I had a problem that after using climate pre-condition, when initiated from either the key fob or the Honda app, after getting in and starting the car the satellite radio volume was muted with no way to unmute it. Shutting down the car and waiting for the dash to go blank (about 20 seconds) and then powering back up would restore the satellite radio volume. I reported the issue to my Honda dealer, and their work around, since Honda has not released a software fix for this as of yet, is to stop the climate pre-condition with the key fob before you open the door. This works. Note the problem only affects the satellite radio. All other audio sources are unaffected.

Living in Wisconsin, I don't generally use the climate pre-condition in the summer much anyway. I park facing south and use a windshield shade. The Clarity air conditioner is also the most powerful of any car I've ever owned, so the interior cools down very fast after you get in and start it. I anticipate using the climate pre-condition much more during the long and cold Wisconsin winter.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I searched the forum for "Sirius preconditioning" and found a relevant reply (by me, it turned out):

After getting into your Clarity when you were using climate-control preconditioning, wait for Honda's dashboard animation to complete before starting the car. Other posters have reported Sirius/XM will not have problems then.