Low Estimated Range-- is this normal?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Nov 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bfd

bfd Active Member

We haven't done the range software update, and our full charge only shows 99% on the app these days, too. Probably some other variable involved.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

My seat heater on 1, wife’s seat heater on 3, cabin temp 68 I was probably going around 70, but really can’t recall. The mileage didn’t bother me all that much. I was more concerned that the car seemed “sluggish” on EV alone. The past few days I’ve run the engine a little more just to see the difference vs just EV. I’m surprised how quick the car is on HV + sport setting.

4. dnb

dnb Active Member

Going 70 and running heater + high seat heaters and such will drain the battery very quickly.

The estimated range is for city driving which includes a lot of regening from stop and go traffic and lower speeds.

5. M Chung

M Chung New Member

did you ever figured out what was wrong? I just had the update done yesterday adn noticed a drop in the EV rang. Thanks

6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

For the longest time I wondered about why my estimated range was relatively low. My vague memory is that the software updates (I got all of them) seemed to reduce the estimated range. I tried changing some driving habits and whatnot, and of course don't use the climate control heat if I'm trying to conserve. In my case I've come to believe my EV estimated range is reduced by 8-10 miles constantly because I live on a hill about 800-1000' above the valley floor. So when I'm seeing 42 my buddy who lives on the valley floor sees 50 estimated EV miles. I don't do any freeway driving so it isn't that.

I'm currently seeing 44 estimated EV miles which is close to the best I ever see. Exactly once I saw 48 (that's the max my car ever sees in the summer).

Anyway, I've come to the realization that I live 5 miles from work. I average about 20 miles of driving daily and I rarely actually burn gas, and when I do the gas cost isn't very high. So do I get the crazy high EV range estimates others see? no. In my case it doesn't really matter.

-Dan

PS: At one point I was convinced I have a bad traction battery so paid my dealer to test (and no mine would not do for free). I got 53.2 amp hours which is lower than others I've seen (55.0 is supposed to be the normal for brand new). But it doesn't seem terrible either.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My low EV range was due to cold temperatures F during charging and running it down to zero charge. It's ok now in summer.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  9. M Chung

M Chung New Member

It took a few charges but mine is normal again. Thanks