JuiceBox Woes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bfd, Apr 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ManKo

ManKo Member

I don’t understand what you are trying to accomplish?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BonsaiJuice

BonsaiJuice New Member

Thanks for the reply, ManKo. It's my understanding that charging at higher amperage is more detrimental to battery life than charging at lower amps, so my goal is to charge at the lowest amperage possible while still achieving a full charge when I need it. Is this an unnecessary approach?

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

IMHO, yes. If we were talking about Tesla-style quick charging I might be more likely to say that your gyrations were justified, but I don't think that regular 32-amp level-2 charging is an issue. But this seems to be a religious issue and I am very laid back on the whole charging scene.

5. ManKo

ManKo Member

I don’t believe this to be true. The car will charge as fast as it is designed to charge (30 amps). The JuiceBox has a setting to keep it at a lower charge level if say for example you have it on a smaller circuit breaker. If you were to limit it to 16 amps for example, you would get a full charge in approximately 4-hours. I really don’t believe there is any advantage to the batteries in doing this. I believe the only type of charging that is not good for the battery packs is Level 3 quick charging where the battery is charged in a very short amount of time, like 80% in 20 minutes. But the PHEV Clarity is not capable of this anyways.

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Yes Ken I too have a range extender but it caused problems so I don't use it. Wish I remembered what problems popped up. I don't mind dealing with the occasional WiFi drops. It comes back on line by itself so no big deal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Bought the Juicebox Pro 40 plug in version from Costco for my 2018 Clarity Touring. But it is not charging when plugged. Customer Service is sending a new replacement. Already 3 days passed and no unit here. It is brand new, input voltage reading is 246 and wifi is solid blue but no charge. Waiting for the replacement unit. Probably return the unit and switch to something else. Warranty is from the purchase date but never used already lost 3 weeks of warranty. Not satisfied at all.

9. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Did they give you an ETA? In my experience it usually takes 4-5 days. eMotorWerks is actually quicker than some of the other charger brands at getting out replacement units. If you ping customer support they will give you the shipping/tracking info.

10. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Thank you. I received the tracking details today directly from UPS and then an email from eMotorWerks. It will be delivered tomorrow.

11. jray19

jray19 Member

Rangavasu don't give up on the JuiceBox Pro yet, see how the new unit works for you. I've been quite happy with mine which was installed in December and I've had not issues to date with it. I've had a couple questions for customer service on the software side and they were quite responsive.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MNSteve

Mine has worked fine with no issues since the moment I plugged it in.

14. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Glad to hear that yours worked. Today I received the replacement unit that worked immediately after plugging it in. But the replacement unit is a "prototype for internal tests only". This explains a lot about a company dealing with a customer. Look at the picture.

Attached Files:

15. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

It looks like they changed design in the last 2 weeks. Here are the pictures. The small 4 prong plug is new one. Handle without rubber cover is new one.

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  16. MNSteve

I remember reading something about a design change and the company not wanting to change the pictures on their website until the stock was depleted at places like Costco because people would receive something different from what they expected. I hope that your new unit works for you.

17. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Yes. The unit works but it is a prototype for internal testing only....

18. MNSteve

Well, the fact that there is printed on the cable "prototype" does not mean that it's actually a prototype. While I agree that it's kind of shoddy for the company to send you a component with that warning stenciled on it, I wouldn't get bothered about it. Looks to me like you got the new model. Most of the time I would consider that a feature not a bug. Give it a chance.

19. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have had a JuiceBox 32 Pro since November 2018. It has worked flawlessly and I really like it.

An interesting observation from viewing your photos - My JuiceBox matches what you refer to as the "New One". The NEMA plug is the smaller one without the 7 grooves on the back. Also, my J1772 connector is definitely the same as your "new" one (is is not marked as a prototype, but definitely the same as that one). Here are some photos of mine. My date of manufacture is September 4, 2018.

What does yours show for a manufacturing data?

In any event, I too would recommend sticking with the JuiceBox. Many of us use these and have been completely satisfied.

Attached Files:

20. MNSteve

I would be interested in the manufacturing date for both units - the one just received direct from the vendor, and the one from Costco. My speculation is that the one from Costco was in their inventory for quite a while. Depending on how it was stored, that might even have contributed to its defect.

21. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

The one from Costco is end of May 2019. The new one that says prototype has June 13, 2019. Based on the replies here the one from Costco is the new design and prototype is old design.

22. jray19

jray19 Member

I've had mine since December and will confirm that like MrFixIt your new one looks like the one I got late last year. Could it be the one you picked up from Costco was an older version that was in stock for some time?

23. Rangavasu

Rangavasu Member

Costco product looks like the new design based on the pictures posted here. That one manufactured end of May. Replacement from manufacturer has the date of June 13, 2019.