Regen and Brake Lights

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FlbrkMike, Jun 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This may have been discussed here before, but I can't find anything.

My question is, do the brake lights come on at all when using regen? I can't tell because (obviously) I can't see the brake lights when I'm driving. The level 3 regen, which I use most of the time, provides a significant level of braking power and it seems like there should be some indication to following drivers that you are, in fact braking. I don't see anything about this in the owner's manual. Does anybody have any information about this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. I watched the vid, but he didn't test the auto regen when in ECO mode. I use that almost exclusively.

Too bad there is no dash indication when brake lights are on. My other car (ICE) has that, and it is nice to know when using ACC which can slow down pretty fast (engine braking or/and wheel braking) when the car in front slows,... same with when going down hill.

4. You can see the brake light reflecting of the rest windshield wiper at night. Or put a piece of aluminum foil around the windshield wiper for it to reflect better (not my idea, and don't use the wiper while doing that).

That easy you can see it yourself.

In my experience when using Regen 2 it turns on. Not necessarily with Regen 1. Using eco/normal/sport mode shouldn't make a difference.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kitsilano likes this.
  5. Well, with ECO, regen braking is pretty strong, so usually don't touch the brake pedal until just coming to a final stop.

But thanks for the tip on the rear windshield wiper. Of course now we are near max daylight hours here in Canada, and don't do a lot of driving at 11 PM.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. The default Regen is just set higher in eco. But you can change it with the pedals on the steering wheel and even change it permanently in the vehicle settings for each drive mode.

The specific Regen levels (check arrows in dashboard) shouldn't be different in each drive mode. Meaning Regen 2 in eco/normal/sport should be the same.

8. Yeah, not sure what the default regen level for ECO is, but certainly a big diff from the other modes, where I have to use the brakes to slow, if I don't use the paddles. With ECO mode, I control my braking just by the throttle, right to almost a stop.

Both my wife and I love this mode for this reason alone. Makes driving one pedal and don't have to use the paddles. I think ECO mode also really saves on range, as we are consistently beating our GOM range kms with actual kms driven. And if we want power, for passing or just fun, it is still there when you floor it, same as with any other mode. Only diff with Sport mode is that it is more a hair trigger on the throttle, but I don't think it gives more actual power.

Esprit1st and electriceddy like this.
  9. Noting that two owners on two FB Kona Electric groups reported being rear-ended in the last ~2-3 weeks and another owner did a video on the brake light v.s. regen (similar to Nigel's) and mentioned that the brake lights do not remain lit after stopping using the left-paddle-hold. I have to wonder if there is a connection here?

I just assumed the brake light would remain on during paddle stop as it would if you were using the brake pedal, with or without Auto Hold, but my quick tests show that it doesn't. Has Hyundai made a mistake with this?

Kitsilano likes this.
  10. I was driving a manual before the Kona and had no brake lights when stopped. I only used the brake if the car would roll. I never got rear ended. I think you can overthink things as well.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I drove manual as well and so my brake lights were on only during the last slow down, however you being stopped on a flat surface and not using your brakes is super stupid unsafe, hand someone rear ended you you’d have rolled away and entirely been at the mercy of your reaction time and going wherever you pointed your tires. I always remember my driving I sit for making it very clear that when stopped you should be braking and spaced, just like never pointing your tires into traffic when waiting to turn as if you were hit you’d slingshot into traffic rather than moving in the turning lane. I’ve seen people do both and you just writing about doing it deliberately just made my gut drop.

13. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I agree the brakes should be used while stopped. It keeps the brake lights on so following traffic can see that, and it is a safety feature if you get rear-ended. That's why I don't use the left paddle to stop. Someone pointed out that it doesn't matter what regen level is set, or what drive mode you have, the brake lights come on when the regen level in the power gauge is at two bars or more, or when the brake pedal is used. Even if the set regen level is one, if the smart regen or collision mitigation system activates, the brake lights will come on as the power bar regen level goes up from one.

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  14. Following drivers in stop and go traffic expect brake lights as an subconsciously-recognisable visual cue to slow down so they don't have to use brain power to estimate your distance away or whether you are stopped or moving. It might not be an issue if drivers kept proper following distances and were fully attentive, but most of us know that's often not the case. It doesn't concern me that the light does not come on under 2 bars of regen, it's standing at a stop without the lights on that is an oddity and indisputably invites a higher probability of a collision.

Kitsilano, Jared Potter and KonaTom like this.
  15. And a very easily remedied “issue”
    Solved by the decades old tradition of leaving your foot on the brake pedal while stoped...

CJC and KiwiME like this.
  16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

What happens with the light, using Auto Hold?

17. It stays on.
    So if you want it on, just use auto brake. Easy solution.

18. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Im trying to get into the habit of paddle braking and then hit auto hold.

19. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

I can confirm the lights will go on level 2 and 3, and paddle. When you use the paddle to a stop, the lights will go off after you have stopped for a moment. When you use the paddle to stop in auto hold, the lights will go off for a moment. If you do not use the brake, the lights will go off.

Kitsilano likes this.
  20. I just did some testing on my Kona Limited and found that I can keep the brake light on with my foot off the pedal if I use the following method. In eco mode, regen level 3 with auto hold on I come to a full stop using the the left paddle. Once the car is stopped the light goes off if I then press and release the brake pedal the light stays on until I step on the accelerator. I didn't try other driving modes or regen levels. I would assume it works it those as well. I find this convenient for rail road crossings and long stoplights.

Kitsilano likes this.
  21. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I never use the paddle to stop. Using the brake turns on the brake light for safety, and really only uses regen to slow and stop. You will never wear out the brakes, and it is simpler and safer. Don’t know why they offer the left paddle hold. A poor implementation of one peddle driving I guess. To me, using the paddle then pressing the brake to light the brake lights is redundant. Using the paddle only lights the brake when the regen level on power meter is two or more bars. This means that as you slow down and regen goes below that, the brake lights go back off again. Using the brake pedal accomplishes the same braking power (using regen) and keeps the brake light on, and doesn’t lower efficiency.

Kitsilano and KiwiME like this.
  22. Why do you think you're not using the brakes? You definitely do! Easiest way to test is we you get to a stop using the paddles, your car will rock back and forth a little bit because of only three electric motor being used.

Try even applying only the slightest amount of friction brake with your foot and you will notice that the car doesn't rock.

There is most definitely friction brakes used.

However, since Regen braking is used too, the friction brakes will most likely not wear as fast as on a normal ICE car.