Unwanted gas engine charging

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by socalclarity, Jun 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JCA

JCA Active Member

Since you're able to recreate this -- can you experiment if you haven't yet using the brake pedal instead of regen, both with light braking (which would normally be regen, but I'm wondering if the computer is smart enough to just apply more friction braking instead) and waiting to brake more strongly (which would call for at least some friction braking in any case)? Does it come on immediately or only after braking down a hill for some distance?

I haven't had the engine come on except when I've accelerated past the blue bar -- It's flat near home I have traffic lights etc to stop for within 1/4 mile of leaving with a full charge. Perhaps the energy needing to be dissipated by a flat stop is a lot less than when the 4000 pound car is also going downhill.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ExpensiveToys

ExpensiveToys New Member

With the mechanical clutch disengaged the engine still can be connected to the wheels but its done electrically not mechanically. This is also were people get caught up on Honda's electric CVT terminology. As the electrical connection between the ICE and the drive axle in some ways mimics functionality of a mechanical CVT (but that is a whole other topic)

Plugging is reverse current braking. Some times used in diesel locomotives, which is oddly enough were a lot of hybrid car tech was stolen from. Think of it as trying to run the electric motor in the reverse direction that it is currently rotating. By applying a voltage & current in reverse of the direction of rotation you can apply a braking force to an electric motor. The downside is that it generates heat and of course consumes electrical energy. In some hybrid drive trains plugging is used to supplement the gap between regenerative and mechanical braking.

Doubt will find a Honda paper on it as I believe its Dr. Severinsky's tech that honda license from Paice. He had a paper on using plugging where primary motor generates electricity from braking and the power is applied as a counter rotational force to the direction of rotation of the ICE. There by generating a load on the engine which is countered by the engine using gas to counter the electrical energy being fed to motor. There by giving you electromagnetic braking without involving battery and can a much larger braking force then just relying on engine compression.
    Much like Toyota most of Honda's hybrid tech is licensed from Paice group so am guessing the patent on this is most likely listed there.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The behavior of the engine would make it obvious if actual engine-braking was taking place. The engine's speed does not vary with the road speed when the engine starts in response to regen-braking with a fully charged battery. I believe the clutch is active only when cruising above 45 mph, and only when not significantly accelerating or decelerating.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If I understand you correctly, the starter motor/generator is trying to slow the engine and that's exactly what I've believed is happening.

6. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

I have tested this as well. My street is relatively flat. By this, I mean that I don't perceive any incline to the naked eye. There is a stop sign about 700ft from my driveway. If I leave with all accessories off, and accelerate conservatively (under the second line on the dashboard power meter), by the time I hit the brake pedal at the stop sign the engine will come on.

My workaround is just to waste some power before leaving (heat/AC) or accelerate quicker to that first stop. My thinking is that if I'm going to waste energy anyway, it might as well be the clean type.

I also only charge when I know I'm going to drive further than the current indication on the GOM, which could mean a few days between charges.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ab13

ab13 Active Member

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/solved-unexpected-ice-turns-on.3402/

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/solved-unexpected-ice-turns-on.3402/page-4#post-34848

Honda's patent and newer patent application says they use the generator motor to burn off the excess electrical power from regen braking by operating the motor in the inefficient range to make heat. The gas engine is also a load to the generator motor in this case. Though it never states if gas needs to be consumed. The charts show this is an option if SOC is equal or above 90%, if braking and speed are low then friction brakes can be used.

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I just wished Honda had decided differently. I wish they just used friction braking as EVs do instead of starting the engine. I have never noticed any difference in braking when the battery is full in my Nissan Leaf.

10. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I had commented in another thread that the message should pop up on screen that it will engage and could be dismissed from a steering wheel button. It is essentially a safety feature, because a standard ICE vehicle is easily down shifted for engine braking when going down hill. A BEV with a full battery has no option but to use friction brakes. If you decend from a ski resort or Yosemite, etc.. You may be going downhill more than 30 minutes, or over an hour. Having no "engine braking" would likely overheat the brakes.