Autodimming High Beam Headlights

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by aapitten, Feb 15, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

That is correct - twice now. No autodimming for sure....

Got a reply from Honda - made me chuckle, sounds like they just want this to be a dealership problem who, no doubt, isn't going to know either.

"Dear [xxxxxx],

We appreciate you reaching out back to us with the updated information regarding the high-beam inquiry. We would recommend you visit your local Honda dealership as the technicians are in the best position to evaluate your vehicle in order to determine the available corrective action. They will be able to explain how to use the feature or notify you if it is defective.

If further assistance is required after visiting your Honda dealer, please do not hesitate to reach back out to us. You are also able to reach us by calling 800-999-1009, option 7. Please reference the case number when calling.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service
    Case #[xxxxxxx]

Attention: If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation."

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

No worries it happens, I'm sure I've done it at some point too. The wipers are pretty bad. And I ran out of fluid today too. The car is 2 months old and about 2500 miles, and I don't spray THAT often. Sidenote - it appears there isn't a 'low washer fluid' warning light or message anywhere like my Toyota's have had, so you don't know you are low until you actually run out. Am I missing anything here?

4. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Yes, we just noticed this yesterday. Ours ran out of fluid and there was no warning to be seen. I can’t recall the last car I owned that didn’t have a low washer fluid warning light.

I was also concerned, when pouring the new fluid in, that fluid seemed to be spilling out from the bottom of the cat. I’m assuming (hoping) that this was just carelessness on my part and not a leak in the system.

5. Pogue

Pogue New Member

headlights.jpg
    Sure enough, the Clarity website (under "Models & Specs") still lists the auto-dimming feature--and the user manual still doesn't. I've emailed my Honda Clarity PR rep to find out the deal!

AlanSqB likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

You are going to find that the Clarity was released like a work in progress. As if they weren't really sure of the feature set until they pushed them out the door to dealers. I have a sad feeling that they don't have a lot of commitment to this segment as they are so invested in the hydrogen fuel cell technology. It's probably an ego thing with Toyota...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AGarg

AGarg New Member

Looks like they updated the website:
    Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 10.01.57 PM.png

9. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

All of this makes it sound like it isn't a setting you can choose anymore, but a standard feature that is always on. But that's not the case? I guess I need to take my wife's Clarity out at night and try this myself.

10. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Please do test it out and let us know

11. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

For MANY years it has been the case that Canadian models have a low washer fluid warning system and us models just get the dipstick in the underhood washer bottle. Not sure why they do this as it can’t save enough money to manufacture the cars with such a small difference to be worthwhile.

I was just going to post that as well AGarg. They did indeed update the website to remove that feature. It was one of the reasons I went with the Clarity over the Prime and was a feature I was looking forward to. However the headlights are a huge weekness in the car high beams or not. They are design wise beautiful though!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

Oh man I hate auto dimming lights and mirrors. Mirrors is an easy fix, just unplug the thing or put tape over it. Headlights is probably similar, going to be a sensor on the windshield. The question is what else does it run.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

14. Pogue

Pogue New Member

I have an official answer from Honda PR!!

"You are not missing anything. It was an error on our website, and it is being corrected. What you read in the owner’s manual is correct – the Clarity Plug-in Hybrid does not have auto high beams. Sorry on the confusion here."

15. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

They need to fix the brochure also as it states this 'LED headlights with auto-on/off (High and low beam)' in the last section - Specification

16. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

Per Honda's request I went to the dealer and they told me (as expected) it wasn't equipped and asked me where I got the printout (of the website) saying it did. I told them Honda.com. They laughed and said it was wrong.

I emailed Honda back - we will see where this goes. I'm honestly curious what their response will be. "Umm... uhh... We advertised that wrong."

I did see someone else just got that response from PR from Honda.

17. Monir

Monir New Member

There are so many features that the clarity could have to make it better, feels like they got cheap on us. Least they could have had auto folding mirrors, miss that feature coming from a 2012 Kia Optima. Overall a great car, but some small features make it better.

18. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Especially with how giant the mirrors are. Our other car is a 2017 Kia Niro that has auto fold mirrors with led turn signals in the mirrors. That is another thing Honda skipped on this model for some reason that my 2013 Civic Hybrid had.

19. Monir

Monir New Member

I also have the Kia Niro!!! got that for my wife and features the Niro car has is amazing, although its not fun to drive like the Clarity. Yes our mirrors are huge and living in NJ sometimes to squeeze through certain parking spots can be a challenge. Also heated steering wheel would have been nice :)

20. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yeah heated steering wheels should be mandatory in all new cars lol ;)

21. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

22. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member