And the winner is... (yes, another novel)

Discussion in 'General' started by JJ2, May 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JJ2

JJ2 Member

I know everyone's been waiting! ;> We finally bought a car, arriving in 2 weeks.
    We didn't like the looks of the Niro, tho the technology seemed good. We never bothered to test drive one. I thought my wife wanted another Leaf. She wasn't happy with the bland looks. An EV should look a bit different, in my book.

A month later, my wife finally test drove the Tesla 3. Always a surprise, she loved it! She's 65, never uses cruise or B-drive. A real 50's girl! But I wanted her to experience the self-drive. Then we'd bite the bullet and get the Leaf SL Plus. She was hesitant to drive it.
    We drove back to Nissan to have another look. It wasn't as impressive now.

But we almost bought a Leaf. I had 2 simple questions for them. 1 - Can I rent one of their cars with self-drive, for the day? It didn't have to be a new one. But for that kind of money, I wanted to understand how ProPilot worked. I didn't expect a yes, and that was fine. And 2 - did Nissan offer special financing? We got 0% on our Leaf. I called our sales person. I emailed 3 times. I even emailed the manager of the large store. The largest in the SE? And then we drove out there. I talked to 2 people. One would get me the answer on interest, while the other brought a car around. We later saw the lady walk by us, twice. No eye contact. We finally walked out. They had 2 willing buyers, in the right age and economic bracket, interested in a car that doesn't sell well. And they let us walk! The manager should have known interest rates. The sales people could have easily looked it up.

The next day, I got a text with 1% interest. That would save us $4000! But it was too late. That may have swayed us, only for the price. (swayed me - not my wife). With 1%, and the full rebate, the SL Plus, which was a few G's more than the M3, would have been $6k cheaper! But we were now in love.
    They blew it. We liked the new Leaf, but never loved it. Now we're ready for our first road trip!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Awesome decision.

4. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Being uncharacteristically brief, I'll say Thanks!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

How far away are you from Huntsville, AL?

I have a Standard Range Plus Model 3. If we can do a 'day trip,' I'd like to offer some seat time for you and your wife.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  6. JJ2

JJ2 Member

Thanks, Bob. That's a nice offer. We're in Atlanta, but our car is to arrive in a week.
    Maybe we'll drive up to see you one day? Our first road trip will be to see friends in Asheville.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.