Clarity has a friend

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LegoZ, May 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

My Clarity have a full electric friend!
    F40AE80E-EDD4-4C03-A9BD-81202AB41DFD.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Is that a new addition to the household?

4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Yes! It replaces my wife’s Kia Niro.

5. The Gadgeteer

Tell us more. Was the Niro a Hybrid or Plug In Hybrid? What made her go all electric? Is your Clarity PHEV insurance for having at least one vehicle in the household that is not dependent on external charging on occasional road trips? What is her commute like? Dual chargers? Do you have solar?
    Your household is further along the path to electrification than most. Many of us want to know your and your wife’s story.

LegoZ likes this.
  6. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Is it the new Soul or E-Niro?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

2017 Kia Niro EX Hybrid with Tech package

She drives than 3000 miles a year and all short trips. We were able to trade and all in all it is a wash. In the process we paid off her car so the Soul is owned free and clear.

A full EV just doesn’t work great for enough of our use cases. We have 700+ mile each way trip we take twice a year with poor charging support along route so having the PHEV Clarity is required to do this without renting. Also the Clarity is just so dang flexible of a car and such a nice car.
    She works from home and here daily trip is to drop off/pickup my son from school.

Right now no we are using the Clarity’s Level 1 charger. (There is heat damage to her EVSE’s 5-15 plug. I will be putting in a warranty claim on this) This is something I am still trying to figure out. Although expensive I am thinking a second Chargepoint Home on a separate account. There is not a good way right now without two way communication to tell which car is plugged in and thus split out information for which car is plugged in. I want data so this will likely be the route I take.
    Yes a 10.1kw (DC) SunPower solar array. Possible future plans will be expanding the system by 6+kw and going ground source heat pump.
    CC7697EE-4846-4C1F-ADBE-15B36521E586.jpeg

Thanks for the interest. I was a bit rushed writing this so if something is confusing or poorly written let me know and I’ll try to clean it up.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    The Gadgeteer and Tomrl like this.
  9. The Gadgeteer

Thanks for the info. I am looking at solar but I am nervous about such a large commitment.

10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

If she's only driving 10-15 miles per day (estimated from the yearly you gave) then why bother with a level 2 EVSE? The level 1 you already have will only need 3-4 hours to replace that energy.

Of course it's your decision, but spending that money for a car that will only be charging less than an hour a day on L2 seems unnecessary to me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Must.have.data! :)

14. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It is quite possible we will be driving it outside of that instead of the Clarity.

15. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Sooooo I have some studying to do to maximize value for dc fast charging lol. $10 for 60 miles is not a good value :D

16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Agreed... DC Fast charging rates are definitely exorbitant on most networks.

LegoZ likes this.
  17. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

18. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Soul

LegoZ likes this.
  19. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Thank you Kerbe, I combined the story behind my path to plug-in electrification under Clarity, Soul and Solar

Kerbe likes this.