Heading to Mammoth Mountain from the Bay Area

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Agzand, May 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You have much more experience than I do when it comes to HV operation--I don't dispute your theory. It's just that the Clarity seems to behave differently for different drivers and Honda won't explain what's going on, so alternative theories also seem viable. I like to speculate that the Clarity PHEV is like a high-level chess program--even its programmers are surprised at some of the inexplicable decisions it makes. Repeatable results are difficult to come by.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I have been reading all winter about how going downhill and using regen first thing sets the ICE going. When I leave my house, it is downhill all the way for about 2/3 of a mile and the ICE has rarely turned on. After all the discussion, this has had me puzzled me. Mainly, I have not had the heat on because usually I am not going very far. Sometimes I have had the seat heater on. The ICEman cometh not.

I wondered if its because I don't time my charging. When I get home I plug it in on the OEM 120v charger. It is usually finished charging long before I need to use it again. I wondered if it looses just enough charge, as it sits around, to avoid the need to turn on the ICE when regen is applied.

4. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

Use the pedals to regen, that is more likely to trigger the ICE. If you hit the brake, then you can avoid the ICE.

5. insightman

Pedal, paddle--both create regen power that the Clarity has to dissipate if the battery is fully charged. Some say the pedal regens more power than the paddle.

6. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

True, but this is for the situation when the battery is full.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I didn't revise my response fast enough to include that before your reply. The Clarity PHEV doesn't need to dissipate the regen power unless the battery is fully charged.

9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I generally use the paddles until I get to the stop at the T-junction, and again at the next T.