Daily Commute Charging situation + Android Auto Question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by kg350, Apr 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kg350

kg350 New Member

Hi there,

Got my 2019 clarity last week. Getting pretty good EV round trip in Socal. Roughly 60-65 with my traffic situation.

My question is my round trip commute is 60 miles. I currently get free charging at work, so I haven't been charging at home since I'm able to leave work, go home and then drive back to work on one single charge. Is this something that's technically bad for my battery in the long run? Is it okay for me to leave my car at roughly 50% charge over night?

Regarding android auto, is there a way for it to not charge my phone once I plug it in to use android auto? Or is there a setting to toggle it off? Currently using an S10+.

Any input is appreciated :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

That's about perfect for the Car. 50% charge is likely better than fully charged. Stick with your current plan.

Can't help with the Android question.

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

1. Don't know about a setting to turn charging off, but what about connecting it with a data only cable? I haven't tried it. There have been some reports about USB cables be finicky with Android Auto and I did have a couple of cables that didn't work.

5. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

I think that charging pattern is fine. There is another thread here that says Honda has buffer on the top and bottom to help preserve battery life.
    Do you see 60 miles EV range in the guess-o-meter after a full charge. Are you draining down to 0 EV miles and the ICE kicks on at the end of your trip? If the ICE is kicking on then you might want to put it into HV mode for part of the trip to allow the ICE to warm up.

6. kg350

kg350 New Member

thanks all! will keep my live going with my current charging situation and maybe use few miles of gas each day :).

I'll try a data only cable!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dnb

dnb Active Member

For Android Auto question, if you just want to use the phone for music you can just use bluetooth without using android auto. That would mean you don't need to plug the phone in at all. Sadly for google maps and such you still need to plug it in

MPower likes this.
  9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

When I am driving locally, I never use Android Auto. Bluetooth works just fine with the phone still in my handbag. You would just have to make sure that you have enough stuff in your playlist to last your trip so you dont need to touch the phone to get it going again.

I listen mainly to podcasts. Sometimes one will finish and if I don't have a playlist set up, nothing else will come on and I have to pull over to set another one going.

10. dnb

dnb Active Member

I ended up using Amazon Music, so can "Alexa play XYZ" to swap songs... my only issue with it is sometimes I have to restart the amazon music app, its just buggy though in general.

11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I use Podcast Adict and as long as there is something in the Playlist, it will keep on playing the next thing without having to be restarted.

12. To remove this ad click here.