EV Rebate question

Discussion in 'Honda' started by hotwheel, Apr 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hotwheel

hotwheel New Member

Hey guys,
    I am going tomorrow to purchase Honda Clarity plug-in hybrid. I just stumbled upon this forum. I have a quick question, do you know if I will quality for CA rebate and Fed tax credit if I happen to sell the car by end of this year and no longer have the CAR while filing taxes?

This is my first post, please be gentle with your response as my question may be naive.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Sale of car is irrelevant with respect to the federal rebate. Only purchase. So if you buy it, you qualify for the tax credit even if you no longer own it at the end of the year (be aware it is NOT a rebate...it's a non-refundable credit. Know your own tax circumstances...everyone's is different. The majority of Americans do NOT qualify for the full $7,500 credit because they don't pay that much in taxes each year...)

As for CA? I know nothing...I live in IN. Sorry. Happy car shopping!

4. hotwheel

hotwheel New Member

Thanks for clarifying. I am eligible for full $7500 credit but was worried about the the circumstances which may lead me to sell the car in a short notice. I think CA rebate will be a check to me so I might have to apply for that.

5. S L .

S L . Active Member

You will need to pay back a prorated portion of ca rebate if you sell within 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

DaleL likes this.
  6. hotwheel

hotwheel New Member

Thanks for the information. This is really helpful.

7. To remove this ad click here.