Wouldn't charge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JellyCat, Mar 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JellyCat

JellyCat New Member

Do you have issues charging ? My Kona refused to start charging several times already. I locked it unlocked it, moved to a different parking stall with similar charger and no luck. The chargers were working.
    This is very annoying because I don't have a charger at home.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DCFC or L2?

4. JellyCat

JellyCat New Member

Regular L2 chargers in public parking.

5. Check no charging timer on

6. JellyCat

JellyCat New Member

It was definitely off. That's the first thing I checked. In fact, during one of these days it would charge at one station but not the other in a couple of hours time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

That seems strange. Is it still happening? Did you get it checked? Maybe some of the L2's are free and the others aren't?

9. That's...not great. Please let us know if you've had better luck at other chargers.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Check charging limit. If set below the current state of charge (SOC) it won't start to charge, I think.
    And if charging limit is above the SOC, I cannot unplug when charging.

11. I changed the LCD setting in Doors to "auto unlock off" to save wear/tear on the door actuators when shutting off/parking the car and couldn't open the charge port after leaving the vehicle and closing the driver door :(
    It could always be opened before after shutting down (within a set time limit).
    So after restarting and changing the setting back to "auto unlock park" ( two times) it would finally open.
    I am not a big fan of how the charge port is connected to the door locks

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I've had problems with AC charging on one particular charger near home since day one, 5 months ago, an ABB Terra 54 with a 43 kW Type 2 and 50 kW DC cordsets. I don't have charging access at home so this is my substitute, despite the slightly higher cost.
    The charge rate will dither around and drop to 6.0, then 3.8 or lower after 40-60 minutes. Restarting the session will bring it back to 7.0 to 7.4 for a short time. If another EV shows up and starts DC charging my rate drops to 3.5 kW. The Kona charges fine on a normal, dumb EVSE and so I've got ABB working on this issue, since I think it's their fault. If diagnostic info (e.g. the control pilot waveform, voltage and duty cycle) was available on either the car or EVSE, this sort of problem would be far easier to resolve.

14. Did you try the button next to the battery indicator, in the charging port? I haven't had to use it myself but I read the manual b/c I'm a geek and apparently it is supposed to tell the car to charge immediately including if necessary overriding any timers (and yes I know you said you didn't have any set and I believe you). I think you have to press and hold it like for 3-5 seconds, and supposedly the car should start charging immediately. It's a button right next to the 3 green light bars inside the charger port area. Anyway... I would say try that if you have the same problem again, and let us know if it works.

Oh and, I guess it's also possible there was just a problem with the charger, like some malfunction on their end that had nothing to do with your car.

CJC likes this.
  15. Yes I have tried that w/KonaTom at an ABB DCFC 50 kW and no go ( machine said "communication error, shut of vehicle")which it was shut off so definitely a handshake error with ABB. Not the first Hyundai with that error, hope ABB/BC Hydro fixes it
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/147203
    also
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/bc-hydro-stations.5252/#post-57048
    KonaTom has reported that his car charges successfully at another DCFC but has not yet reported at what location or make of DCFC
    Note another Kona same error today after BC Hydro says it's fixed. I seen the rep (on the road) from BC Hydro and he drives a Bolt, tried honking to him to talk but all I got was a wave

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  16. That sucks, I can't remember if you already said so but hopefully you can charge at other DC fast stations. Now I'm wondering if mine will work, I've only had the car 2 weeks and I haven't needed to charge except at home. I have DC fast about 10 minutes away, I think it's EvGO network, I will have to let the battery run down a bit sometime and give it a test to make sure it works.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Just got a report from KonaTom and one DCFC that does work:
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/18325
    is different model than the similar ABB machine that doesn't :
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/147203
    Note the vehicle supply lines come out of the same side as the connectors on the good one unlike the bad machine (supply lines on side, connectors in front)
    Being the same manufacture, I am sure (hopefully) that a firmware fix will solve the "com error" soon.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  18. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Yes give it a try early on, it's good to know these things in case of emergency situations. Just make sure not to run it down too far because if it doesn't work, you need to be able to either get home or to another charger!

Mattsburgh likes this.
  19. Sarah Newton

Sarah Newton New Member

We figured out how to charge the vehicle. Sometimes it is fine, but other times it won't charge at all, the ring around the charging port starts flashing red and there is no charging.

We have spent a few hours reading the manual, looked at trouble shooting web-forums, and trying other charging stations in town. Nothing worked, even though there are a myriad of suggestions online. On our own we figured out how to do it:

If it won't charge in the usual manner

1. Disconnect the cable
    2. Shut the charging port door
    3. Get in the car
    4. Turn the car on, in park
    5. Leave it 'running' or on, and have the doors unlocked
    6. Get out of the car
    7. Open the charging port door
    8. Hook up the charging cable, it will start charging
    9. Once charging, we then turn the car off and lock it up. It continues charging.