Clarity length of ownership/mileage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LegoZ, Feb 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

How long have you had your Clarity and how many miles on it?
    Mine is a 2018 Clarity PHEV Base built 11/17
    I purchased it late February 2018 so I am coming up on a year. Several unplanned long trips have me sitting at 18449 miles. I ended up giving up early in keeping track of power and gas due to the level of effort required to log it every night. I was logging kWh used miles and converting kWh into gallon equivalent to log into the EPA’s tool which then gave me MPGe. This was WAY to much work.
    F41D5104-9D3F-48B7-A0D6-7D2D5128549A.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda could have made it much easier to compute gas/electricity usage. They didn't.

The gen-1 Insight has a lifetime-MPG read-out, but no subsequent Honda hybrid cars offered that interesting data point. Why? I always assumed because they became tired of dealing with grief from customers complaining they were seeing only 55 lifetime mpg instead of the 70 EPA highway mpg.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    LegoZ likes this.
  4. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Car was built Sept 2018 and purchased on October 2018 currently at 6035 miles. Has anyone else used the ECO feature (green leaf icon) in the map menu? There's an icon called AT THE PUMP where you can input price of gas, miles travelled,fuel used and it will compute your gas mileage and cost of your trip. There's also a trip planning icon and when you plug in a trip it will give you the cost, travel time, distance, etc. Haven't really played with it much on a recent long trip to San Diego but it was something I found while keeping me entertained along boring Hwy5 with light traffic and LKAS AND ACC engaged. It will also do a Mileage report and also score your driving style in regard to how you use the brakes, accelerator pedal, travel speed, etc. Just thought I'd mention it since I've never seen it discussed here before. check it out starting on page 110 of the navigation manual.

LegoZ likes this.
  5. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Must be only available on touring.

6. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It is :/ I noticed it when I first test drove a Clarity as I drove a touring first. When I test drove my car I couldn’t find it and thought I was crazy and then forgot completely about it :(

I drove the Clarity a few times at two different dealers, none were recently charged. The second dealer had both a base and a touring so I was able to drive both back to back. I asked the sales associate at the second dealer to charge it and let me know but something happened and it wasn’t charged when I arrived. He ended up plugging it in on the spot (120v) then picked me up from work the next day for a test drive and spent 1-2 hours to really let me go through everything on the car. This one ended up being my car and yes it sat on the lot for a while with a relatively low battery.
    I’ve been very happy with the car.

MPower likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tahuna

Tahuna Member

Purchase April 2018. Had the car for 279 days. Driven 8018 miles. I don't bother to track range or mileage. I've had a couple of long trips during that time, and filled up the tank a total of 6 times.

LegoZ likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For most people--especially those who go many months between visits to the gas station, this information isn't very useful. I want comprehensive info on both gas and electric usage.

Mike Triassi and Groves Cooke like this.
  10. ukon

ukon Member

I have 1650 miles and purchased it in December 2018. Like others, I also gave up on tracking the Exact mileage. What i do overall, I charge at only 2 places and from my phone can look up total energy. So far in winter it is 3 miles per kwh(includes wall losses.). Will probably be 3.3 miles in summer per KWH. So I just calculate total EV miles and gas miles.

The only thing I manually track is the total gallons of gas I am pumping into the car. Combined with above I am able to calculate anything. I found this to be as accurate as possible with the least manual tracking.

insightman and LegoZ like this.
  11. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Purchased Dec 5, 2017. 23,641 miles as of today.

I gave up trying to compute mpg because it is extremely difficult in this, or any, PHEV. I'll never be able to figure out mpgs of the gas engine alone because if the gas engine is involved the car is in hybrid mode. Regen effects mileage as does charging the battery. There are four possible inputs of power 1) Charging from AC 2) Regen 3) Filling the gas tank 4) Charge mode. Too many variables and too few bits of data from Honda. An engine hour meter would provide one needed input. Then again the engine is often running but not connected to the wheels. We might be able to know how much fuel is used to charge the battery or to power the electric drive motor if we had more sensor readouts. Comparing mpg with the Clarity to an ICE only car seems out of our reach.

LegoZ and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Purchased Feb 19 2018 and installed Charge Point Home with kW monitoring in May of 2018. Since all my driving is local and totally EV except for 5 trips that I made in HV, it has been relatively easy to record gallons and kWs consumed and milage in each.
    I have detailed records of the above along with engine hours and notes on driving conditions and calculations for every trip for miles/kW, cents/mile (at 0.9287 cents/kW), and MPGe (using 33.7 kW/gal). Also have garage charging temps for latter half.
    If anyone want to see all this data that’s not in a spread sheet (just in day to day note form), PM me and I will be happy to send it to you.

I’m currently at 7,400 miles and the MM is showing first A01 sevice on 2/20/18 which is exactly 12 months and 1 day since purchase. And resetting the tire rotation last week did not extend the oil change. So the 1 year max oil change mentioned in the manual apparently is programmed into the MM but you have to have low miles to get there. I’ve only got about 12 hours and less than 650 miles on the ICE. So it looks like with my driving >8,000 miles a year mostly in EV that I will be changing oil and rotating tires once a year.

LegoZ and insightman like this.
  14. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Purchased white touring 7/2018, built 6/2018. 4942 miles as of today. I haven’t calculated anything re electricity used or gas mileage. Mostly electric miles, started with a full tank of gas from the dealer, purchased about 15 gallons of gas so far, have about 3/4 tank of gas as of today. Haven’t had any issues with the car other than the known pre-conditioning SiriusXM bug.

LegoZ likes this.
  15. Mike A

Mike A New Member

Purchased September 4th, 2018. 6915 miles. 16 gallons of gas purchased. We’ve done 3 road trips that required ICE for about 650 miles. The rest has been around town, almost exclusively on electric.

LegoZ likes this.
  16. rockstone

rockstone New Member

Purchased Dec 2018(did not use car for a couple of weeks ). Currently at 8500 miles. Around 25 full tank fillups. I would estimate around 1800 miles on elec and rest on gas.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    LegoZ likes this.
  17. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Purchased January 1, 2019.
    1000 miles.
    No fill up - still on original tank of fuel from the dealer!

LegoZ likes this.
  18. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I think you are overcomplicating this. From the standpoint of mileage calculations there are only 2 operating conditions. These conditions are EV (kWh input, and Miles output), and HV (Gasoline input, and Miles output). Regeneration is used on either of these two modes, but that only serves to boost the effective miles per gallon or miles per kWh. The fact that the vehicle is mixing regeneration, and EV when running in Hybrid mode is irrelevant - it is simply gas in, and miles out.

You know the total odometer miles (25,631). You want to know the breakdown between electric and gas miles... How much do you know about the fuel input? Let's say that all you know is the total overall amount of gas consumed. You can get very close by simply assuming you get 45 mpg when operating in Hybrid mode. If you have consumed a total of 200 gallons of gas, then you have driven 9000 miles on gas and the rest (16,531) are electric. Let's say you know nothing about gas consumed, but you know the total number of kWh of electricity you have ever used... You will get very close if you assume 31 kWh per 100 miles. If you consumed 5124 kWh, that yields 16,561 electric miles, and the rest (9060) are on gas.

This is not precise because your mileage or your EV efficiency varies with driving conditions, temperature, and a host of other things... What is your objective though? I think a simple calculation like this will get you to within a few percent of reality and I don't know why you would need anything better. I track this in a spreadsheet and my calculated EV miles from kWh plus my calculated HV miles always comes out very close to the odometer reading.

LegoZ likes this.
  19. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I just noticed I mistakenly put the sign as greater than instead of < or less than. My bad.

20. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I purchased my Clarity at the end of May 2018. I have 7051 miles just got the first Maintenance due "A01".
    I have only put in 84 gallons of gas and 793 KWH of charge. I do once a month road trip of 380 miles round trip use about 6.5 gallons of gas running in hybrid mode the whole time. In town, we run in EV mode. Only have a 120-volt charger and charge about two or three times a week.
    As for fuel cost, we pay about $2.30 a gallon for gas and 9 cents a kilowatt hour. It was a replacement car for my wife's old 97 Crown Vic that only got 18 miles per gallon. But she loved the way the old Crown Vic road, the Clarity rides just as good, the wife is happy.

21. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

I took possession of my white Touring on 15 June 2018. To-date I've put in 438.24 litres of gas, driven 19780 km for an overall average gas fuel economy of 2.21 litres/100 km. Totally loving my Clarity!

22. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Purchased in mid December 2017. Just under 12k miles. About 9K are EV miles. The car has worked flawlessly so far. Only problem is Hondalink fails to communicate with the car once in a while but I suspect that's due to Honda's server and not the car. Fit and finish is better than US built Hondas (I spent a good amount of time examining the Accord at the dealer lot--another car I was considering) and it's been free of any creaks or rattles that commonly plague many models in the first year of production.

23. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

Leased on 11/04/2018 and have 3,620 miles and only have 1 fill up! Also have never had to pay to charge thanks to my office garage having free charging stations and using the PlugShare app.