Please post your low temp experiences from the Polar Vortex here

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Jan 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's the secret procedure for starting the engine to perform emissions testing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I have a lot of the wisdom that I've gleaned from this forum on my iPhone in case I need to reference it in the field.

4. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

YES, my experience is much the same. In Upstate NY we have had morning temps hovering 10 degrees each direction from 0 (F) this week. A couple of days, the engine started up immediately, a couple of days the motor started. Following the advice referenced above, I made sure that the AUTO setting on the climate control was off before shutting it down at night. The next morning's temps double digit below 0, the motor started.

Last night we had dinner at our son's and I didn't think to shut the AUTO off on the climate control, get out about 4 hours later, right around 0 degrees, and what do you know, the engine revved up and persistent efforts to shut the AUTO off on the climate control were met with failure. Engine ran for about three miles.

Oh, the total range indicated on a full charge has varied between 25 and 29 miles for the past few weeks. I have only owned the car for three weeks so more to learn.

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I wonder if this is a communication issue - I keep Climate OFF (i.e. regardless of the Auto setting) by using the [fan image] ON/OFF button unless I'm cold while driving; preconditioning makes a big difference in making the cabin comfy even when the outside temp is hovering around 0 F.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Once the Clarity's engine starts, it stays on at least long enough to warm up its oil. A non-recommended way to turn off the engine before it warms up is to pull over and turn the car off and on. It makes sense that the engineers wouldn't want the engine to start, run for just a few seconds, shut off--and do that over and over without adequate oil circulation.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jray19

jray19 Member

Yes I've noted the same on the really cold days even with the garaged car. Normally when I plug in on the Level 2 charger it goes right to 30 amps and 7.12 kw of power but on the cold days it will pull just 1-3 kw. Still charges faster than level 1 but on those days maybe just override the night charging and just start immediately.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  9. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Agree! Charging on arrival seems to benefit from warmer battery - at least initially - sometimes I drop from 6+ kW to 2-3 kW after an hour, making me think that charging doesn't generate much heat.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

10. lanb

lanb Active Member