HV range stuck!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by glockgirl, Oct 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

I have had my clarity since Feb. I already have over 11k mi on it. I had the service bulletin done for HV range fix a few month ago. No issues till now. My HV been stuck on 258. Yesterday I drove over 90mi in 1 day. I started the day with 47/258. I ended with 0/258 with trip be showing 92 mi derived since last plug in. The bars on gas gage down 2 from top.
    Anybody know how to kick start the gas gage? Anybody having similar issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Quick, call Consumer Reports! No, wait, that's another thread. No one else on this forum has reported this problem, to my knowledge.

The problem might possibly go away if you do the 12-volt battery disconnect/reboot. However, your dealer should be the one to address this error so the issue becomes part of Honda's database. It's safer to let the dealer do it, too.

4. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

I'm going to wait till I drive about 1500 MI on the fill up. I normally can get about 2k mi on single tank. I'm hopping this will fix itself after I put gas in car. I just hope I don't miscalcule and ran out of gas

5. Jordan

Jordan Member

This happened to me a few weeks ago on a long range car trip. Once it went below that number it started decreasing. In other words, it was useless until it hit 258 than it counted down and it was accurate again. Hasn't happened since. I have no idea why it happened.

glockgirl likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As the reports flood in, we'll have to come up with a name for this phenomenon.
    The 258-mile derangement?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    glockgirl likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Richard Hwang

Richard Hwang New Member

Drove 30 miles using gas and the HV stucked at 343. Had HV Range update two weeks ago.

9. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

HV range fixed itself. After driving another 100 mi in 1 day, the HV range started to drop again as normal.
    The clarity doesn't like being topped off before half tank.
    I had to top off before the hurricane Michael and I only was able to add 2g to tank, but my HV range didn't increase.
    So I had to drive below that range, before it started computing again.

Walt R likes this.
  10. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

I know this is an old thread but my Clarity PHEV is stuck on 255 mile range for the HV. Since your problem in October has the stuck range occurred again?

11. mhillier

mhillier New Member

Here's what I "think" is going on. (Just a theory...). As you drive using gas, the Clarity is constantly recalculating your HV range based upon gallons left and the MPG for your recent driving. Say you start with a full tank (7 gallons) and averaged 40 MPG in recent driving before filling up to that full tank. HV would show as 280 (7 gallons times 40MPG = 280 miles expected range). Let's say you drive 50 miles and use 1 gallon of gas (50MPG). It is constantly recalculating your expected range, so now expects you can go 300 miles (6 gallons remaining times 50 MPG = 300 miles expected range).

Here's my theory. The Clarity will only update the HV display when it drops below what it is currently showing, as it doesn't want to show HV range going up, as that would be so counter-intuitive ("how can HV range go up when I'm using gas?"). So it stays showing 280 until you've driven far enough that the recalculated range drops below 280. For example, after another 25 miles and another half gallon of gas (still averaging 50 MPG) your expected range would be 5.5 gallons times 50 = 275 miles, so NOW your HV range display drops to reflect this new value, and then keeps dropping as you use more gas.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Fast Eddie B, Tim66 and Walt R like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

@mhillier, that’s a reasonable theory. I’ll add another data point.
    I over filled my tank accidentally (before I knew of the slow gas gauge) about 7 months ago and have only been in HV once since then for just a few miles. Since then, when the ICE has come on for either a System Check or the no regen after full charge ICE start scenario, the HV range goes down a mile or two. It didn’t go down for the first few times, but does now. I’ll guess that if I hadn’t over filled it would have started going down immediately.
    And I haven’t lost any bars in the gas gauge all that time. I’ve forgotten what a Kroger or stop n rob gas pump looks like.

insightman likes this.