San Diego Outlet Installation

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aaron, Jan 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Hello Fellow San Diego Clarity Owners....

I was just wondering if anyone has had an outlet installed in their garage and if so would they recommend their electrician? Our panel has one 3 open spaces (a double and a single/slim) and is right above the garage. The garage is finished but I am fine with conduit as it will be minimal.
    Thanks!
    Aaron

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Aaron, I’m in KY and not California, but here’s a suggestion that several have used and thanked me for.
    Get several quotes and do NOT ever mention the words solar or electric car. That seems to automatically increase the price. Just tell the electrician the type of 240 v outlet you need and say you’re thinking about getting an RV or taking up welding.

4sallypat likes this.
  4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I love this idea. I am DEFINITELY taking up welding!
    It's funny you mention that because 100% of the youtube videos I have watched about upgrading panels (which I don't need) and installing 240 outlets mention that they are doing it because they just got a new welder.

5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

^^ this is so true!

When an electrician hears the word: EV charger or Solar - the prices hike way up.

I asked my electrician (handy man) that I wanted a 240V dryer line for the quote - was about half the price of an EV 240V.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

On the other side of this issue ... I have an outlet in my garage because the previous owner of the house had a welder.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I"m starting to think I should sell my Clarity and become a welder......

MPower, MNSteve and Mark W like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As long as you don't charge your Clarity and weld at the same time, you'll be OK.

Claire Green likes this.
  10. WantEV

WantEV Member

My guy put in nema 15-40 outlet near the breaker plus a 50 amp breaker for less than $200. But that was a friend price so your might vary. No issues so far. Very hard to get hold of but does good work for cheap. He covers all of san diego. Pm me if interested.
    .,... edited ......
    Nema 14-50, you know, the tesla plug

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

This is a code violation. Needs a 40 amp breaker, unless you made a typo there which is my suspicion. 15-40 is an odd duck....if it even exists....

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I believe it is allowed because there is no such thing as a 40 Amp receptacle. So it is allowed by exception.
    Also see 2017 NEC 210.21(B)(1)
    “A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.”

There is a very good discussion of this on the Tesla Forum here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ok-to-use-nema-14-50-plug-with-40amp-circuit.122445/

And note that the 2018 Code has specific sections on electric car charging.

Disclaimer: To keep the lawyers happy I must state I am not a licensed electrician (and don’t even play one on TV) and you should always use a licensed electrician and follow all local and national electrical codes. Safety first, foremost, and always.

14. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

KentuckyKen saved me maybe $400 by asking only for a NEMA 14-50 (and not mentioning electric car at all). I mentioned my father in-law's RV which isn't a lie (he does have one with a 14-50 cable) and let them assume that's what its for. Anyway, my quotes went from $600 to $150-$200 once I only asked for the 14-50 RV connector. Anyway, $200 later I have a real 14-50 (including 50 amp breaker) installed in my garage. I then paired that with a level 2 EVSE 'travel' version that plugs into NEMA 14-50 "campground" plug. Of course the Clarity will negotiate about 30 amps max. So whether 40 or 50 amp circuit, the EVSE and car will do ~30.

I chose to buy a 40 amp capable EVSE (which the Clarity cannot max out). In my case the 30amp version just wasn't that much cheaper, that and the cable length was shorter on the 30amp. So I did the 40amp capable EVSE plugged into to a 50amp plug. The one I got is on Amazon. It's a Jekayla (sp?) unit which has been OK so far. As a new unit it has a very tight fit, which is my only complaint. i.e. I'm moving it around a bit to disconnect-- not smooth. One other in this forum (same EVSE) claims it got looser with time, so a little too early for me to recommend my EVSE, but I am pleased with the price and that it's functional.

BTW - I can get a 80% charge from zero in 90 minutes. I come home now and plug in, even if I only have an hour. That hour buys me about 15 miles of range.

-Dan

15. TIger

TIger New Member

You can contact Anson Electric David, did the job for $200 or less than that. Just mention Nema 14-50 and when he shows up give him the EVSE he will screw it to the wall and plug it in for you. I got a 50amp breaker, and the Nema-14-50 installed. I bought both the devices on amazon. Just an FYi...i have Juicebox Pro. He used his own wires. I had my Nema installed just below the panel

16. PaulH

PaulH New Member

If you can wait a while (don't know how long a while is), SDG&E will be providing rebates for 240 installation and chargers.

17. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I will call them....thanks!

18. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I have a good friend who works for SDGE and he LOVES my Clarity. I asked him about these rebates and he hedged.....but hopefully it's sooner rather than not sooner!

19. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber