That's Better......Front License plate

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cali65, Jan 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cali65

Cali65 Member

My Clarity already had a front license plate installed and I HATE having one. I either get a car without or get a color matched plugs for the holes.
    Looks so much better without and only needed 1 plug this time.

20190108_153028.jpeg 20190108_153146.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

If it had one installed when you got it then it's probably illegal to not have it. They tend not to install them when they're not required.

4. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Oh yeah, definately illegal here in Cali.
    But in 20 something years I have only gotten a fix it ticket twice and I just throw on a temporary plate and remove after inspection.
    I have never kept front plates on any of my cars and we have 3 cars minimum at a time in the household.

5. AREED

AREED New Member

Looks good, Where did you find the plug?

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I feel lucky to live in a state that did away with front license plates many years ago (although the Michigan legislature occasionally threatens to bring them back). That said, I always pay extra for the optional 2nd vanity plate meant for the front--and hang it in the garage.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Bumperplugs.com

Comes as a pair for $33 delivered. Since I only needed the one, I will list the other one for sale.

9. More than once have I been happy to have the front license plate serve as a bumper while parking, rather than the actual bumper...one of the few things I wish this car had are front facing cameras (or sensors) for parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4sallypat likes this.
  10. insightman

I never realized a front license plate could provide any possible benefit to the owner other than aiding in the recovery of the car after it was stolen. Evidently the Clarity's front license-plate frame provides some cushioning. Thank you for that info.

11. ozy

ozy Active Member

I agree. I park in a very tight garage in which there is shelving directly in front of the car and the garage door directly behind. I need to crawl into the garage with the car and advance very slowly towards the front and gage where to stop. It would be much easier if I had a front camera like other cars have to indicate exactly when to stop. Not sure why they don't have this especially since the car has front radar and other sophisticated tricks to look at objects in front of it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

You should try the audible low speed collision warning system. low cost, highly reliable.

Pegsie and lessismore like this.
  14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The chicken’s a hoot but not very aerodynamic. For $16 I got this laser pointer and now just pull in until spot hits on the dash and I’m golden on missing the garage door and not hitting my shelves in front. This car is a lot longer than my old CR-V and I don’t have much space to spare (about a foot front and back).
    It’s made by Chamberlain and has a transformer so it’s on all the time. I didn’t like that and wired it to my opener so it only comes on when the garage door light is on.
    E6907263-401E-4EE6-A3BF-3C3996E4FB59.jpeg 6B434265-1E6D-4349-9C63-118D261CF459.jpeg

Sandroad likes this.
  15. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Wow, you are high tech. I have the same problem, so I the local lumber yard gave me a couple of pieces of scrap 2x2 and I just drive in until the tires hit the wood.

16. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

A little rubber ring hanging from the rafters is my low tech solution.

17. bill_m

bill_m Member

Wow, I am tempted to reinstall the license plate frame for a bit more buffering! I do prefer bare naked license plates. The frames never seem to be in harmony with the design of the plate.

18. insightman

I, like @KentuckyKen, went with the laser solution and find it ideal. Where the spot appears on my dashboard not only tells me how deep into the garage I am, but also if I'm dangerously too far right in our tight garage.

19. ozy

ozy Active Member

I've got you all beat. Here's a high tech and FREE solution. I taped a round object to the wall such that when I'm entering my garage I can see it behind me when I activate my left blind spot assist button. I arranged it in such a way that the car is optimally positioned only when the object is at or behind the red warning line.

upload_2019-1-9_19-41-53.png Electrical tape applied to the wall (I'll improve on this later)
    upload_2019-1-9_19-42-52.png When tape is behind red line. The door can close.

20. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wow, the ingenuity and wisdom on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I learn something new every single time I get on it.
    I’m almost embarrassed that I just threw money at the problem, although I did try the tennis ball on a string first.

MPower likes this.
  21. graure

graure Member

Honda also sells a whole OEM front sensor kit for about $350 if you want to tightly park somewhere other than your garage

22. insightman

I didn't see this front sensor kit as a Clarity option. Are the front parking sensors integrated with the Clarity just like the rear parking sensors?

23. graure

graure Member

The front sensor kit is a Japanese-only option, but not too hard to source with the many Japanese proxy buying services available. The USDM accessory rear sensor package appears to just be the sensors attached to a beeping control module that is stuck in the rear quarter panel of the car, which I wouldn't call particularly integrated. I haven't seen the installation instructions for the Japanese front sensors, but looking over the instructions for the Accord's front sensors, they don't appear to be more advanced or integrated than the Clarity's rear sensors -- just more beep beep beep. I'm not sure why they don't sell the front sensor kit in the US, maybe something to do with the lengths of the subharnesses and right-hand-drive?