Regen paddles doing something I don't understand

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KClark, Jan 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KClark

KClark Active Member

Hi, I'm a brand new Clarity owner, only a week in. I just registered here to get some wisdom from owners. I've read the manual, watched the videos, but I'm coming from a 2002 F150 so there is a lot to absorb. I've also done some searches here but don't see my question directly addressed.

I understand the regen paddles and I've used them a lot, trying to get a feel for what they will do and what they won't do. When I start out in normal mode there are no chevrons showing on the dash. I use the left hand paddle and the chevrons increase, I use the right hand paddle and they decrease. But no matter how many times I use the right hand paddle one chevron remains on the dash, which means that I'm not coasting anymore when I release the accelerator. When I use the brakes and then start up all chevrons disappear.

So for the times I don't use brakes to stop I'm always running with a little regen, but I've trained myself with my gas guzzling truck to coast as much as possible. Is there a way to get zero regen after using the paddles without braking?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KClark

KClark Active Member

OK, I just found the answer to my question reading another thread, holding the right paddle instead of just clicking it will reset to 1 and then 0. I'll try that the next time I'm out.

Fast Eddie B likes this.
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

There are only four levels. It will never go to zero, it just hides the "level 1" icon after a few seconds.

insightman likes this.
  5. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Right. This is one of my tiny peeves with the car. I would like to be able to turn off the "fake" creep-forward and minimum engine braking.

petteyg359 likes this.
  6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Also realize the Regen paddles are largely a gimmick. You can use the brake pedal and get the same amount of Regen into the battery...WITH the benefits of brake lights!

They are however really cool when descending mountains...for the convenience of getting all the way to the bottom wih zero footwork.

I played with them and used them around town pulling up to stoplights and taking turns and such when I first got the car, but now just drive it normal wih pedals only, and range is the same. And the people behind me appreciate the brake lights.

MPower and MNSteve like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Heino

Heino Active Member

I disagree. The paddles put less strain on the brakes - hence, using the paddles more, should minimize the times brakes need servicing.

Also, from another forum thread - it appears the paddles do activate the brake lights in certain scenarios.

I use them in combination with the brakes at times, when I need to stop very quickly. Like when approaching a light and it turns red before getting to it. Works wonders!

neal adkins and insightman like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Brake Hold button will do that for you, but it will also set the parking brake if you turn off the car with Brake Hold enabled.

10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I just use ACC when going downhill. Unlike my previous cars that just coast downhill and pickup speed, the Clarity will maintain the set speed using regen. No need to fool with the paddles at all.

craze1cars likes this.
  11. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

You can defeat the fake creep-forward by leaving the Brake Hold on all of the time. However there are times when I appreciate the creep and turn Brake Hold off.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LAF

LAF Active Member

its also good for going around curves or getting off the highway without having to move your foot

14. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I am observing that the paddles are a religious issue. Some Clarity owners love 'em, and some think that they are a gimmick. Options are good. I wish we had more. No one is holding a gun to my head to use the paddles ... and I don't.

Unless you apply enough pressure on the brake pedal to engage the friction brakes, it makes absolutely no difference whether you stop using the paddles or pressure on the brake pedal. In both cases you are invoking sufficient regenerative braking to accomplish your goal of reducing the car's speed to zero in whatever distance you have. Certainly it is possible to engage the friction brakes using the pedal, but unlikely since the goal is to spread the braking out in a reasonable distance if possible. If the maximum regen braking is insufficient to stop in the required distance, you're going to invoke the friction brakes by using the pedal - the alternative being hitting something.

Personally, I've been driving using a brake pedal for decades, and I do not find the paddles a pleasing alternative. If you do, go for it.

15. insightman

I bow at the altar of the paddle. I find it's impossible to detect when the Clarity brake pedal transitions from regen to friction.

16. weave

weave Active Member

As far as the brake lights go, I've done some testing with the right-side camera activated on a dark road where I can see the glow of the brake light come on, and I couldn't ever get it to come on with region paddles alone. Even with 4 chevrons and the recharge indicator going past the half way mark.

So I'm skeptical it ever comes on with the paddles.

What I'd really like to know is when ACC or the forward collision mitigation thing brakes hard, does THAT put on the brake lights. I'm hoping so.

17. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

6 hours ago I would have said the same thing, but driving around today I found that when applying the brake pedal the car was lurching mid way through the braking zone. Like it suddenly decided it didn't want any more regen and decided to hand it over to the disk brakes with a little bit of lag in between and then a little more aggressive on the brakes to catch up. Never had this kind of feel before. Temperature was 34 - 38F today and it was happening while SoC was 75% down to 50%.

I wasn't watching the dial on the dash to see what it was doing with regard to recharging during braking, but today was the first time I noticed a transition between regen and brakes after 4.5 months of driving it.

18. weave

weave Active Member

I've started to notice when the engine comes on without looking at the display. Like I can feel the torque of the engine starting to rotate. I think we are all getting a little overly sensitive, literally!!! :D

petteyg359 likes this.
  19. ozy

ozy Active Member

I also noticed something strange today with regen breaking. I was on Sports mode and set regen to 4 chevrons. On Sport mode the regen is supposed to last throughout the ride without having to constantly reset. However, I noticed that the number of chevrons was changing throughout the ride. I like it at 4 chevrons and frequently found 2 chevrons instead. Anyone know why that happens?

20. KClark

KClark Active Member

I live in a hilly area so I’ve found the paddles useful. But I’m surprised at the amount of regen I get at the zero setting, it seems equivalent to going downhill with my truck in D2 position of the automatic. Thanks everyone for the replies.

21. insightman

I assume you're certain you weren't feeling the anti-lock braking system.

22. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

No the roads were dry and the deceleration was not aggressive. Just normal-ish urban stops from 35-45 mph. If the behavior keeps up I will try to keep an eye on the regen needle to see what it says.

23. wgshipl

wgshipl New Member

I have not been able to find any documentation on this, but I suspect that friction brakes are always applied when the brake pedal is pressed - with assist from regenerative braking. If this is true, using the paddles would reduce brake wear.

petteyg359 likes this.